Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: If it's honey that matters: North vs South  (Read 6236 times)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: If it's honey that matters: North vs South
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 08:09:29 am »
Great pics Finski, kinda looks like Wisconsin in summer, especially with that fireweed (looks like?) on the right side.  I'm afraid It won't look like that for another three months (maybe more) around here though :'(

Based on the many years keeping track of honey production I'd go with the North generating the most honey, however, the different amounts listed in the individual States may have more to do with the number of beekeepers (or more importantly, the number of colonies) in a given State than anything else.  EXAMPLE; I beleive there are considerably more bees (colonies) kept in the Dakotas as there are in Wisconsin.

thomas
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:40:48 am by T Beek »
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 09:13:17 am »
Great pics Finski, kinda looks like Wisconsin in summer, especially with that fireweed (looks like?) on the right side.  

This is dry soil fireweed. It gives not much

Language barrier NOT included

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 09:19:47 am »
WOW!!! That could almost be my backyard Finski.  Our regional Red Pines (looks the same as in your pic background) are also known as Norways.  Sure is nice to see some green 8-)

thomas

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 11:02:12 am »
I usually harvest three times a year but I'm not selling to stores so I don't have to keep up with any kind of demand, just certain handpicked customers. I could make much more honey than I do and I also leave more than I need to to ensure they have enough stores.

My buddy Bailey pulls much more than I do and has his wife helping him. They sell to two or three markets. I keep bees down his way too and he can pull honey from my hives any time he wants as I don't get down there as often as I would like.

This past season was good, we had adequate rain, good tallow flow and goldenrod into October. This up coming season for removals should be incredible as everything I'm looking at is really strong.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 11:39:56 am »
I'm with ya JP, I don't sell any honey anymore, we give some away, keep some for ourselves but most of what bees put up, they get to keep for themselves.  Even with some kind of "miracle flow" we don't/won't endlessly pile on supers for our benefit, but that's me and mine.

thomas

anything