Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: wasp thing  (Read 6042 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
wasp thing
« on: January 23, 2008, 05:52:13 pm »
[img width= height=]http://lh6.google.com/pearce.km/R5e11xlbrvI/AAAAAAAACdI/TcKtrTm2bR4/s144/DSCN0764.JPG[/img]

[img width= height=]http://lh5.google.com/pearce.km/R5e15hlbrwI/AAAAAAAACdQ/ci034fCYp0k/s144/DSCN0765.JPG[/img]

is this one of those Japanese wasp things we were talking about last year?  i saw these for the first time last year.  what in the heck is it doing out when our warmest part of the day was 35 degrees?  will it get in the hives?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
Re: wasp thing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 05:57:31 pm »
probably had wherever it was overwintering disturbed and is looking for a warm place to hang out until spring.

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:05:24 pm »
   that is a common yellowjacket.   they are stinking nasty ground dwelling (usually)pain in the whereever they sting ya critters that you mostly find the wrong way and unprepared.   if you kill it late fall or later you did away with a whole colony that would have been there come spring.,  the queen is the only one to winter over and starts a new family when it gets warm.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 06:15:03 pm »
wow.  this is only the 2nd year that i have seen these big ones.  i have smaller jellowjackts that nest in my hay and stuff.  they are a real pain.  they are everywhere.  these seem to be new to my place :-(

was this a queen and i just missed my chance to kill her?  it's gone now.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:59:05 pm »
Of course we have nothing to judge the size of your wasp, is it this big?

http://www.uneasysilence.com/wp-content/2006/06/japanese_hornet.jpg

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:11:39 pm »
ok, i got the bottle it was crawling on and measured what i saw in the picture.  looks like it's just under an inch long.

[img width= height=]http://lh6.google.com/pearce.km/R5fIdxlbrxI/AAAAAAAACeI/yP_58aCos7c/s144/DSCN0766.JPG[/img]

how big is your hand?  :-)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 07:29:09 pm »
YUP, looks like a yellow jacket to me..they winter in my firewood & wake up whle in the warm house..boy does everyone scramble when you hear the Bzzzzzzzz & see them flying around the living room...they are really grouchy too!
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 07:37:27 pm »
That wasn't my hand, just a picture I found when googling  Japanese Hornet.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 08:02:05 pm »
well.....turns out that we have about 4 kinds of yellowjackets in the PNW.  guess i have two kinds living here now.  the smaller ones were bad enough.  really have to watch flipping those hay bales in the summer.  also found that i am not the only one that has noticed these big ones.  wonder if they are just thriving and multiplying around here? 

Offline xC0000005

• New Bee
    • Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Honeybees
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 08:48:30 pm »
That's one of our more common kinds of wasps (my wasp knowledge is completely absent at the moment, I can't tell you the probable species).  WSA has a "Insect Species" guide somewhere that shows it.  That one's  a queen, most likely.  Kill it and you'll be rid a bunch more in the summer.  Found not one, but two bald faced hornet queens in the house over the last week.  I think they are wintering in the vents.  As my daughter said, "Those things are always in a bad mood."
"Tell me again why you want to put a box with thousands of angry, stinging insects in our backyard?" - my wife.

http://www.voiceofthehive.com

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 08:54:41 pm »
yup   queen      shoulda killeed her.        did i mention that i hate those things?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 09:21:27 am »
Yeah, those overwintering queens really make the regular yellowjackets look little.  I've found a few baldface hornet queens who are trying to overwinter, and are they ever impressive!!

Kill her or not you will still end up with the same amount of yj's in your yard.  I usually collect them for my boys' bug collection...

Rick
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 11:29:55 am »
ok, i got the bottle it was crawling on and measured what i saw in the picture.  looks like it's just under an inch long.

[img width= height=]http://lh6.google.com/pearce.km/R5fIdxlbrxI/AAAAAAAACeI/yP_58aCos7c/s144/DSCN0766.JPG[/img]

Kathy, remember this picture I took of the bee and yellowjacket drinking s.s. together?  I am trying to put my picture in the same post as yours so you can do the comparison.  I think they are the exact same species of yellowjacket.  Have an awesome day.  And yes, they are the nasty critters that can treat our bees so terribly.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 01:04:46 pm »
They pick on bees too?  Now I have another reason to hunt em!  There are plenty of woods around here for them to nest in so don't need to be living in my mailbox, woodshed, barn, car door jamb, roof, clothes line pipe...bird & bat houses..something fun is to "flick" em (you know, like you do your kid when he/she spits at you) as they annoy you then stomple it!  I'm getting very good at knocking em out of the air!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 01:47:21 pm »
thanks, cindi.  that's the critter.  guess i'll have to keep an eye out for these big ones nesting.

missed the queen.  when i went back out, she was gone  :-(.

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 06:04:42 am »
I only have last year as an example, but when I was doing my heavy syrup feeding last fall the bees seemed to be more than a match for the yellow jackets.  The bees seemed to really stop them in the fights I saw.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 10:21:09 am »
There are a couple different types of giant hornets, if I'm not mistaken, that are really detrimental to a honeybee hive. As few as a half dozen, I have seen on video and television can wipe out an entire honeybee hive in less than an hour. Regular ole yellow jackets aren't a match for honeybees, its the giant ones the bees have to watch out for.

Sincerely, JP

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp72gXkYJIw
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 02:28:43 pm »
JP, you are one warped dude  ;) :) :).  Look at your avitar now!!!  A dancing bee, nope, not there yet, do the poll, get back the Pokemon!!!  Hee, hee.  Actually, it is kind of fun to see different dancing insects, innovative and cool.

Kathy, do you remember all the posts about the yellowjackets last fall. Man, some people had some horrible issues with them destroying so much of their colonies.  I remember that clearly.  After seeing that yellowjacket swoop down to a guard bee on the landing board and pick her up and fly away with her, I have been on a death hunt for these nasties.  I have a abhorrence for them like nothing on this earth, and I will be working early this year to search and destroy.  The bald-faced hornets are just about as bad.  Maybe they eat bad bugs and catarpillars, but I don't care, they have no place on my property, my bees are more important than they.  Tough, yellowjackets out of my world!!!  Have a great and awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 03:52:53 pm »
cindi, i do remember.  probably didn't pay to much attention.  i had some of the smaller ones around my hive, but the bees seemed able to take care of them if i was careful not to spill syrup and stuff around.  the small ones are not much bigger than the honey bees.  in fact, it was the small ones that i got calls on last year because people couldn't tell the difference between them and honey bees.  if they'd had these big things around, there would have been no question.

i'll put traps out early.  maybe it will help.  i am ticked at myself for not killing that sucker that i photographed.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 10:23:50 pm »
The president of our bee club lost four hives last year to yellow jackets.  Nasty little bastages!  :-x