Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone have any ideas or plans for a bear-proof welded steel cage.  (Read 3373 times)

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
I'm working with a fellow looking to start a beekeeping project with his son.  Problem is, he's in bear country.  He's looking to build a cage from steel pipe and a plan would really come in handy.  Any ideas for the collective hive mind out there?  Come on, don't be shy.  You know you want to help...LOL

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Re: Anyone have any ideas or plans for a bear-proof welded steel cage.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 07:52:30 am »
I'd use an electric fence.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 11:18:11 am »
Same here, a baited electric fence.   I have had up to 4 bears in my yard at one time and although they almost destroyed my chicken coop trying to get inside, they never touched a hive.  Once I put the electric fence around the coop as well, no more problems there either.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:49:57 am »
Bear steaks are delicious,  wonder if you could glaze them with honey?

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 02:30:46 pm »
If he is in a remote area with no eletric you can get fence chargers that work on a 12 volt car battery that are very effective. If you keep the weeds off of the wire the battery will last almost 5 months before it need to be recharged.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 06:30:00 pm »
If it's a sunny area, you can get an electric fence with a solar panel to keep the battery charged.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:58:04 pm »
Thanks for all your input and ideas.  He's going with the electric fence, but his son wants to know who's going to put all the collars on the bees.  (He used to the invisible fence for dogs...LOL)

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 09:43:41 am »
Put your electric fence around your bee lot, using barbed wire for the hot fence, then laying flat on the ground all around the peremeter of the fenced area a band of woven wire, which is wired to the ground rod, and ground lug of your charger. This assures a good hot spark to the bear, or other predator.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 12:43:38 pm »
Don't forget to bait the wire.  Without them getting zapped on the nose or tongue,  their fur will insulate them and they will go right through the fence.   I run two lines baited with peanut butter,  and have not had one go through yet.  I use to run 3 wires, but the last few years have used just 2.   I imagine just 1 properly baited would work too, but I haven't been that brave.....yet!

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,6865.msg50597.html#msg50597
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 01:23:01 pm »
could always throw in one or a couple of game cams or are they called a trail cam then again, it may fall under the name scouting camera

regardless, if possible, let everyone know how it turns out!