Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Vigans & honey...?  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Spear

• House Bee
Vigans & honey...?
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:15:25 pm »
I was thinking today - I seem to do a lot of that lately - if vegans don't eat any animal products do they include honey? I mean technically it is made from plant matter and converted by the bees into honey. The bees themselves don't secrete the honey but they do make it for the benefit of the colony so it could be considered an animal product, right?  :?

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Re: Vigans & honey...?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 04:19:41 pm »
<--- not a vegan. But maybe one will respond.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 04:37:53 pm »
I won't discriminate. I'd sell my honey even to weird people.

Offline mulesii

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 04:43:56 pm »
Honey is an animal by-product.  A true vegan will not eat honey.

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 05:46:53 pm »
Vegans don't eat honey, veggies might.
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:01:01 pm »
Who made up those stupid rules anyway??  :? I am on a pretty strict vegetarian diet and honey would seem to me benificial to a vegan diet. Folks sometimes live by the rules of others without question. For example, Why is a Baptist a Baptist and why is a Catholic a Catholic? All I know is the stuff is good to taste and good for you!  :-D
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Duane

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 07:24:02 pm »
Honey is an animal by-product.  A true vegan will not eat honey.
By-product?  What would be a bee primary product?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 07:49:28 pm »
Duane,  CHOCOLATE COVERED HONEYBEES.    Yuuummmmm.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:38:13 am »
Vegans do not eat honey. They do consider it an animal product, plus many vegans are opposed to the enslavement of animals for our benefit. I don't bother trying to argue with this because it makes no difference to me, even though I personally consider it ridiculous. And then there are some vegans who will eat eggs as long as they come from happy chickens. I do wonder how they know if the chickens are truly, deeply happy - could be there are depressed chickens even among the freest ranging ones.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 11:46:53 am »
Along that same line, I wonder if the food vegans eat is happy to be eaten?... 

I don't bother engaging them.  Nobody is changing anyones mind so the discussion itself is an exercise in futility.  Please sell your crazy somewhere else, I'm all full here.  ;)
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 01:08:39 pm »
If vegans are so concerned about the welfare of animals why are they eating all of their food?  :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 12:32:26 am »
If vegans are so concerned about the welfare of animals why are they eating all of their food?  :-D

Scott

X:X  I've heard that 'argument' before, but it still cracks me up!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 12:49:41 am »
Spear, for what it's worth, here's what I found in Wikipedia's entry for Veganism:

There is disagreement among vegan groups about the extent to which products from insects must be avoided. Some vegans view the consumption of honey as cruel and exploitative, and modern beekeeping a form of enslavement.[59] Once the honey (the bees' natural food store) is harvested, it is common practice to substitute it with sugar or corn syrup to maintain the colony over winter. Neither the Vegan Society nor the American Vegan Society considers the use of honey, silk or other insect products to be suitable for vegans, while Vegan Action and Vegan Outreach regard it as a matter of personal choice.[60] Agave nectar is a popular vegan alternative to honey.[61]

I guess it all boils down to their philosophy or reason for being vegan; just like some vegetarians will eat eggs and dairy, because the animal isn't killed.  :idunno:

I personally feel that there is a place for all of God's creatures -- right next to the mashed taters & gravy!!!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 10:40:18 am »

I personally feel that there is a place for all of God's creatures -- right next to the mashed taters & gravy!!!

Me Too! lol
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 05:44:27 pm »
In the land of milk and honey  :-D

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 10:51:32 am »
Vegans do not eat honey. They do consider it an animal product, plus many vegans are opposed to the enslavement of animals for our benefit. I don't bother trying to argue with this because it makes no difference to me, even though I personally consider it ridiculous. And then there are some vegans who will eat eggs as long as they come from happy chickens. I do wonder how they know if the chickens are truly, deeply happy - could be there are depressed chickens even among the freest ranging ones.

i'm sooooo sad.  all i do is lay eggs and eat bugs and grain.  one i'm just going to try and cross the road.  now we know, the chicken tried to cross the road because it was depressed and suicidal.

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 07:07:04 pm »
I knew it. I'm getting a coop therapist. But the bees - that's a problem. Too many for even group therapy. Any suggestions?

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 11:20:02 pm »
I am available for hire Nyleve! What are ya willing to pay? I have a coop full of content chickens. Its all about the Zen.

As for the bees....Zen again! Group yoga sessions. Lightly smoked.

Namaste  :bee:

“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline Nyleve

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 12:09:46 pm »
You are so right about the Zen-ness. If I'm not feeling all one-with-the-universe when I got down to the hive, it's definitely going to be trouble. The chickens, on the other hand, couldn't care less.

anything