Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to keep arrived queens safe until installation?  (Read 2824 times)

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
How to keep arrived queens safe until installation?
« on: June 04, 2008, 04:24:28 pm »
I ordered 2 queens.  Will be here tomorrow morning.  They are not shipping to my house since I won't be there until evening.  They are being delivered to work.  I will give them a little water that I will place on the screen when they arrive.  There is a room here that only I have access to that is dark and about 70-71 degrees.  Will it be safe to put them there when they arrive for about 8 hours.  I will then take them home (about an hour drive)---with the air on.

Does this sound like a good plan?  These are my first queens, so just double checking.

Thanks guys!
Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: How to keep arrived queens safe until installation?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:34:39 pm »
Sounds like you have a good plan to me.   Just keep them out of the sun and not to hot. 

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:08:23 pm »
I had the same situation last year, I gave them a drop of water and put them in my desk drawer until it was time to leave.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline derrick1p1

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:41:40 pm »
Awesome.  Thanks for the response/evaluation.  I'm looking forward to their arrival!

Derrick
I won't let grass grow under my feet, there will be plenty of time to push up daisies.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 10:29:09 pm »
>Will it be safe to put them there when they arrive for about 8 hours.

They would be safe for about 8 days that way.  Hours are not a problem.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything