Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Not up on new stuff.  (Read 1787 times)

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
Not up on new stuff.
« on: August 06, 2011, 08:11:07 pm »
I just bought a new 8 frame hive for my woman and in came with a screened bottom board. How does this thing work? I don't have a clue.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Not up on new stuff.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:22:41 pm »
It doesn't "work".  You put it so when you put the box on there is only one entrance.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:26:43 pm »
Where do I put the screen, bottom slot? what about the funky plastic cardboard thingy? It doesn't look like a good thing to me.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 12:09:33 am »
The cardboard thingy is to grease and slid in under the screen to do mite counts. Just put the bottom board on like any other bottom.
John 3:16

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 12:24:26 am »
Starting from the bottom you have the tray (aka "funky plastic cardboard thingy"), the bottom board and then the first box.  If you have the bottom upside down there probably won't be a place for the tray underneath and they may be more than one way in for the bees.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeV

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 08:48:56 am »
Place the bottom board with the screen side up, cardboard down. Place so that only the edges are sitting on whatever base you put it on so that the cardboard can be slid out and back in easily. You can then spray a light coating of cooking spray on the cardboard and slide it under the hive. As mites fall through the screen, they get stuck in the cooking spray so they can be counted. Search "mite count" for more info on that.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 11:07:33 am »
Thanks everyone, I think I got it now.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 11:51:07 am »
my screened bottom boards come with a slide in to close the bottom for winter.  i can use it for mite counts, but i don't.  you might consider making something that will slide in for winter if what came with your bottoms will not do.  very thin plywood that will fit the grooves, etc.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything