Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie Beekeeper, just saying hi!  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Asoul

• Brood
Newbie Beekeeper, just saying hi!
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:10:34 pm »
Hey All,

I'm a newbie beekeeper from Long Island, New York. I just recently joined a local class with a Master Beekeeper, and am getting my first nuke box in two weeks!!! I have my boxes and theyre all painted up and ready for my new colony!! I joined the forum because I want to learn as much as I possibly can about the "art" of beekeeping!!! I have some aspiration to become a Master some day but I think I will take this one day at a time! I have loved bees for as long as I can remember and have been wanting to start keeping them for many years now. Now that I have the opportunity, I am trying to go full force into it.  I most likely wont be posting much because, well, I dont have much to contribute at this time.  I have started at the beginning of the forum and plan on reading my way through most of it!!! Should take a while ;)  Hmmm... what else.... I am a 30 year old man named Nick and my home town is near Jones Beach State Park.  I hope to start bee keeping now, so that I have many years of experience in the future.  Thanks for making this forum!!! i have already found alot of very helpful information!!!

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
Re: Newbie Beekeeper, just saying hi!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:23:00 pm »
Welcome to forum.....you are never to old or young to start beekeeping, I have enjoyed it for many years and at my age you hope to enjoy it another day or two.  Let the adventure begin and as time passes it will become and obsession.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline kd8kty

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:34:59 pm »
Firstly, thanks for the warm welcome! We are excited to jump into this and see what happens. First couple questions I have are... how many hives do we start with? is one okay or is it better to start with two? as well, there is a local supplier not far from where todd (my girlfriends dad lives) and he sells "kits"... what do you guys think of these kits and prices?

http://www.hiveandhoney.com/images/conrad_starter_kit-prices2013.pdf

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:39:14 pm by buzzbee »

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:38:20 pm »
I agree with Rbhood, I was nearly 60 when I started and It is addictive from the start.  Some of the tells I could tell, anyway, good luck.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 10:37:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:18 pm »

Welcome to the forum, Nick. I started at my 55th birthday. My wife bought me 2 bee books that her father recommended. He teaches beekeeping. I'll bet she wishes she didn't do that.  :-D
I now have 16 hives plus a bunch of nucs and an observation hive in the house. Oh, by the way, I built it from scratch, put the bees in it but it is her hive. It is the one that "that's not going in my house".  :-D
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 11:00:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

I'm 51 and just starting beekeeping myself.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 08:28:47 am »
Awesome I hit the big 30 last year and I'm a newbee as well.
facebook.com/laredobees

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain