Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Inspection Today  (Read 2795 times)

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
First Inspection Today
« on: April 14, 2007, 12:25:17 pm »
I installed four packages last Monday the 9th. I wanted to wait until Monday afternoon to inspect the hives. However, we have a bad nor'easter coming our way. Tomorrow and Monday winds are forecast to be up to 65MPH.... Then on Tuesday I go to San Diego for a week.

I have been watching the bees every day. They are bringing in a lot of pollen and seem to be uninterested in me standing 4 feet from the hives watching. Hopefully the queens are out, laying, and I can just close them and let them be! Maybe wishful thinking!!!

Today the sun is peaking out but it is still overcast and rainy looking. I have read that bees get upset when you open them when bad weather is in the area. However, I can't wait any longer because the weather is coming. After I inspect I am going to Lowes to get some anchors to drive in the ground and some straps to go over the hives. I'm afraid they will blow over in 65MPH winds.

I will update on the condition of the hives when I am done.

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
Re: First Inspection Today
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 05:23:48 pm »
We just got finished checking the hives. Unfortunately, my son took the camera to a car show so I couldn't get any pictures.

I lit the smoker using smoker fuel from Dadant. It was very easy to light and stayed lit the entire time. I puffed a little smoke on the frames but am not sure they needed it. They were very mellow. I removed the frame with the queen cage. The queen was released! The frames are beeswax coated black Pierco foundation. Upon inspecting the frames I saw a lot of comb. The comb was mostly filled with a clear liquid, which I imagine is sugar water. 2/3 of two frames had comb. I flipped the frame over and the comb at the top and more towards both sides was filled with clear liquid. I held the frame up and let the sun shine over my shoulder. I could see small rice like white things in the middle of the cells that were in the middle of the frame. I believe these are eggs!!! I carefully put the frame back in and inspected the second one. It had the same thig as the first. There was a bit of excess comb connecting the two frames. I cut that out and my wife kept is as our first comb.

We moved on to hive number two. This hive has Rite-Cell® Foundation from Mann Lake. The queen was released. There was not as much comb...I belive about 1 1/2 frames were built. The comb was filled with the clear liquid just like the first one. I turned it over and saw comb without liguid but could not make out eggs. The yellow foundation made it much harder to see than the black. 

Hive three is the hive that we thought was our weakest. Looking from the outside it always has less bees on the landing board. Once open, it looked like there were less bees than the others. Not significant but less. The queen was released. This hive has beeswax coated black Pierco foundation like hive one. This hive had three frames built with comb. The comb had clear liquid and there were lots with eggs! Our weakest looking hive is actually doing better than the others!

Hive four is another black Pierco. This hive was doing good. The queen was released and comb was built on three frames. I saw clear liquid and eggs in the comb.

Each hive had some cells with a yellow substance. Overall, what a great day! All four queens released and eggs were seen in at least three hives! The best thing that happened is my wife was with me and hasn't been very interested in the bees. She is now hooked!

Does this sound like what I should have seen?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 05:31:54 pm »
it sounds great! 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 06:36:29 pm »
Great start.. I am just so jealous!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 09:42:01 pm »
Do you have dandelions blooming?If so that was probably the pollen you saw as the yellow substance or possibly willow pollen.Great start,congratulations.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 10:06:41 pm »
Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 10:32:56 pm »
you have done good!!!! just watch and learn from your bee's!!!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 11:07:06 pm »
Thanks everyone! I'm so glad to hear it sounds normal. It's almost too good to be true. I have been so nervous about having plastic foundation. I sprayed the foundation with honeyB Healthy. It seems to have worked. Although I don't have a clue as to how much comb should be made in 5 days...it just seemed like a lot to me. Except for the Rite Cell. It wasn't as much as the others. I have been looking at pictures of eggs and I am sure that is what I saw.

I expected to have the bees attacking me but I was surprised at how they kept working and really didn't care that I was there. I don't believe I even needed smoke. It seemed to just make them mad.

Do you have dandelions blooming?

We do have some dandelions blooming so that must be the yellow. I have seen a lot of bees with white pollen...a few with yellow but not many...and a few with a redish color. They are bringing in white like crazy.

just watch and learn from your bee's!!!!!

I can't stop watching them! I have to admit that I was a little, ok a lot overwhelmed when I had the frame of bees in my hand. I was trying to look for everything and remember all the advice. All I saw was clear liquid and then I remembered to hold the frame up with the sun coming over my shoulder. Instantly I could see the eggs and on one frame the pattern was from the very center and made an oval a little bigger than a softball with eggs in every cell. I just stood there looking at the bees and had to make myself put them back! I have to finish my observation hive.

I bought some 16 inch stakes with tie down straps this morning. After inspecting the hives I drove the stakes in the ground and used the anchor straps to secure them. I am probably over reacting but the TV weather is saying we are going to get 65 to 80 MPH winds and rain tomorrow. The hives are strapped down as if a hurricane was coming.

Ok, Sorry...I'm rambling.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 11:29:31 am »
>I can't stop watching them!

The first step is to admit you have a problem.  You need to find a local chapter of beekeepers anonymous and start attending meetings.  Hopefully you can get a handle on it before it takes over your life...
;)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 01:02:40 pm »
Just beware,those chapters are run by beekeepers!

anything