Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from East Texas  (Read 1875 times)

Offline kellzie

• Brood
  • Honey of a Bee
Hello from East Texas
« on: March 12, 2008, 02:24:41 pm »
Hello All!

My husband, son and I are interested in beekeeping and I hope to learn a lot about it before we attempt it.  I have been researching for a while now and honey bees are amazing creatures.  If anyone lives in the East Texas area we would love to come and take a tour of your apiary.  Is it possible to get your first bees from a another beekeeper who has had a hive swarm?  Or is it best to order them from a supplier? 

Take care,
Kelley
Kelley
~To hope and dream is not to ignore the practical. It is to dress it in colors and rainbows~Anne Wilson Schaef

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Hello from East Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:11:20 pm »
If someone would give you a swarm,that could be the most productive bees you could get. If you don't like the bees temperament,you can always requeen and in a short time have basically a new colony with only the cost of the queen.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:14:42 am »
Kelley, welcome to our forum, you have found THE best place to ask your questions, tell us your stories and experiences.  This is a very friendly environment, you will see that.  Ask any question that you need to, if you don't get the answer you are seeking, ask more.  Nice to have another forum friend.  Have a wonderful and beautifully great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:15:05 am »
   Hello and welcome!!

If you're a member of a local bee association that would probably bee your best bet on getting bees from a local beekeeper.  You may be able to go in on a group order for packages also.   

A swarm is usually better because the little buggers are in serious comb building mode and feed them to help them get a jump start.

Or you may find someone who tells you to give them a four or five frames they'll draw out and start laying brood in about two frames and start drawing out the others.  Then you'll get those frames with the bees, minus the queen, and they will make their own queen.  This doesn't always work but it is an option.  That's how my neighbor down the street started last year.  They were weak but it looks like they made it through winter.   He put on a BeeMax top feeder and fed them like crazy.

Good Luck!

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 08:50:14 am »
Hello and Welcome!

Let me echo the suggestion about a local bee club. While this is a great forum to learn about bees, nothing beats having a mentor or two. Plus, it's great fun to hang out with other beeks!

Many clubs offer beginning beekeeping classes and have different programs to support new beekeepers. Check it out:
http://www.texasbeekeepers.org/indexDynFrames.htm?http://www.texasbeekeepers.org/Directories/TBA%20Chapters.htm&1

anything