Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: WHATS NEXT?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
WHATS NEXT?
« on: November 18, 2012, 04:12:51 pm »
Ok now i'm going into winter with 15 healthy hives and would like to make my bee's  mite resistant and i'm not sure witch way to go . Should i bee looking and studying queen bee breeders for Varroa Mites and Viruses resistant lines
or should i just keep breeding my bee's  and only use my queens ? I know i'll be making  nucs and catching swarms to keep  my numbers up so i can lose some but will my bees one day become mite resistant? The steps i'm taking this winter is to read all i can about the Varroa Mites and Viruses and i think i'm the only beekeeper for miles  and the bee's i have now i made off three hives i had last year i bought from a cemical free beekeeper  and 3 nucs i got from another cemical free beekeeper this year the rest i made I had 19 last month and i let the weak{4}ones die out  mite pressure i'm quessing one was queen problem.
So as of right now i have 15 cemical free hives and would like to keep it that way .
I'm just a hobbyist and realy don't care about money i'ts about  the bee's plus i have a great apiary  with time to spend in the bee yard so what do ya all think ?
Witch way would you go?
THANK YOU.
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: WHATS NEXT?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 05:35:30 pm »
Cheaper,if you got the time, just to make your own queens and keep going with them.  And it would make you feel good about "your" bees. 

anything