Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: simple question  (Read 1531 times)

Offline javah

• New Bee
simple question
« on: June 04, 2010, 09:52:22 am »
after extracting the honey from the frames do you replace them on the hive or are they to torn up to put back on.     Thanks for any help

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: simple question
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:38:02 am »
Replace them on the hive. Drawn comb is called beekeeper's gold. VERY VALUABLE.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 11:08:42 am »
or you can donate them to a fellow beekeep and he will be your best friend for life. Seriously as idee said they are the bee keepers gold
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:19:50 am »
If you uncap your frames and put them in an extractor you will be left with drawn comb, which as stated is most desirable, as all the legwork has been done for the bees.

If you do not have an extractor you will need to do cut and strain which with you will lose all that drawn comb. Either way, once you have taken the honey, if still in a flow, place those frames back in so they can make you more honey.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline javah

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:20:00 pm »
Thanks for the help    I do have a extractor this will be my first honey harvest

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 03:23:08 pm »
Put the sticky frames back on a strong hive and the bees will clean everything up.

Last year, I dropped a sticky frame on the ground and I put it in the hive with leaves and other trash stuck to it.  The bees cleaned everything off of the frame, lickity split!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

anything