Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too Late To Split? And How?  (Read 8306 times)

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
Re: Too Late To Split? And How?
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 04:08:11 am »
G'day,

We have two hives in the same location (inner city Birsbane). Both are doing well - 1 deep brood box full of bees each, and one deep super almost full of honey each. We have another two empty 10 frame deep hive boxes and are considering splitting to make 4 hives of bees total and buying in 2 queens for the new colonies. Is it too late in the year to split? We should still have some warm weather for next month or so at least so I reckon it'd be OK but thought I'd ask.

We also only have two deep boxes, no nuc boxes. Should we get some nuc boxes to make the splits or can we use the deep brood boxes we have? 'How' to split is a question for another time, I've been doing a lot of reading and I am sure I'll also be doing some asking soon!

Cheers

I did a split this time last year and they went OK AND I'm in Hobart; our summers are allegedly not that much warmer then your winters. :-)

You just have to feed em a bit to get them drawing comb and storing syrup. If you've already got stores and you're in Brisbane, you should be fine.

anything