Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Swarm Call Of the Year  (Read 3194 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
First Swarm Call Of the Year
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:50:11 am »
Well, its about hour and half drive to get this swarm but Im going to try to get them, the lady said they have been there for 2 days and this is the third, I have done removals but this will be my first swarm to catch, so I hope I'm not wasting my time but Im going to try to get them , hope they are still there.... will report the outcome!!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 02:53:23 pm »
Don't forget to take lots of pics.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline CraigW

• House Bee
  • Thunder Rolls
Re: First Swarm Call Of the Year
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 03:08:25 pm »
Quote from: TwT
Well, its about hour and half drive to get this swarm but Im going to try to get them, the lady said they have been there for 2 days and this is the third, I have done removals but this will be my first swarm to catch, so I hope I'm not wasting my time but Im going to try to get them , hope they are still there.... will report the outcome!!!!

Just make sure you don't tell an exterminator!!lol

Craig
Have a great Day and Thanks!

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 08:07:25 am »
I got them but didn't take any pic's,(sorry), its not a big swarm, it is only the size of a volley bowl, pretty bee's though,,,, already got them set up, I put a queen excluder undet the hive body and have them some drawn frames with honey and a little pollin, maybe they will stay!!!! ....

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 08:11:16 am »
Quote from: BB Bottom Board

Craig

Exterminators are the one that refer me to thier customer for the removal, I call alot of pest control companies in my area and told them if they needed a remover to call me ,,,,,, got about 30 calls last year...

Amateurs built the ark,

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
GOT ONE TOO ! ! !
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 08:42:42 am »
yesterday Monday March 19.

Small swarm about the size of maybe a football or slightly less. That's a US type football for you soccer bois.  :lol:

I put a large Walmart plastic container under the awarm that was clingling to a branch abbout 8 feet up and shook them down into the container. After I dumped the bees into a five frame nuc and hoped for the best. Good thing I stayed around to watch cause soon after the bees bacame agitated and started to fly off. I place a blocking screen across the opening and stopped the exodus temporairly. I went home, about five miles away, mixed some water and honey in a spritzer bottle, returned to the scene of the crime and sprayed the bees with a soothing mist of that mixture. The bees calmed immediatly and then I removed the screen and further sprayed the inside of the nuc with my mixture, and the outside of the nuc box, everywhere.

I should have taken the time to open one of my existing hives and removed a frame of comb with honey to place into the nuc but didn't. I should have also brought my spritzer with honey water along or sprayed the nuc and all the frames prior to shaking down the bees.  

Just because one puts the bees in a box with foundation doesn't mean they will automatically stay. I knew that but...

Today I'm going to do a removal from under the overhang of a house. Don't know just yet if the colony will be salvagable???

Swarming season is now active down here.

Offline CraigW

• House Bee
  • Thunder Rolls
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 10:48:38 am »
Quote from: BB Bottom Board

Craig

Exterminators are the one that refer me to thier customer for the removal, I call alot of pest control companies in my area and told them if they needed a remover to call me ,,,,,, got about 30 calls last year...

Thats great Ted, good thing you don't live in Texas.

Craig
Have a great Day and Thanks!

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 10:03:35 pm »
Giving them a frame with open brood does as much as anything to hold them.  Kinda handy to shake one off and throw it in the nuc.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 01:17:16 pm »
Oh and by the way, I registered with this site below for Ga and SC to do swarm and removals and this is where the people got my number to call for me to get the swarm.....register for your state.....

http://www.ebeehoney.com/swarmremovalmap.html

and here's another to sign up with

http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/bee_removal.phtml

it's free bee's   :wink:

Amateurs built the ark,

anything