Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 2 lost hives, sad  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Draginol

• New Bee
2 lost hives, sad
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:52:54 pm »
This is my third Spring with bees and I've really enjoyed it. But it's really also gotten to be a pretty expensive hobby.

At one point, I was up to 8 hives.  By the end of last Summer, I was down to 4 hives (CCD took 1, failed queen took another, 2 others died the previous winter). 

I started the Spring here in Michigan 4 hives but shortly after it warmed up we had a really nasty cold spell which seems to have taken 2 of them out.

I'm thinking of using this Summer to split my 2 remaining hives up (they seem to be going strong).

My questions are:

1. Is splitting the way to go? I'm hesistant to keep buying more "stuff".

2. How many splits are safe? I'd like to get back up to 6 hives by the end of this Summer.  I'm not worried about honey production.

3. Do you have any suggestions on maintaining strong hives that aren't "in the books"?

Thanks!

Offline Dexterjc

• House Bee
Re: 2 lost hives, sad
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:06:59 am »
That is sad. I am just starting so I don't have an answer. I hope you get the answers you are looking for. Best of luck.
Dex

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:25:24 am »
Let the big hives grow. Don't split them.

When it is good summer and a big hive has 4-5 boxes, bye a queen and make a 3 frame nuc.
When that nuc is full of frood, add again  a frame of emerging brood from a big hive. After 3 weeks new bees start to emerge, and after a month  you have full box of bees.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline amyleighhoney

• New Bee
    • http://benefitsofhoneyblog.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 05:38:13 am »
Losing a hive is one of the fears that puts me off getting my first set of bees. I hope it works out better for you next season. My prayers are with you.
I sometimes try my hand at blogging at: Benefits of Honey. Although its a honey blog not a beekeeping blog (i'm a total newbie when it comes to beekeeping)