Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Member from the Philippines  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Bochekokik

• New Bee
New Member from the Philippines
« on: November 23, 2008, 02:51:14 am »
Hello Everybody,
My name is Raymond from the Philippines. I have just started joining the beekeeping bandwagon this year. So far we have 2 colonies and planning to split it after the honeyflow season.
Im very glad to have found this site, hope to learn from the veteran beekeepers and also to share info as well.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New Member from the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 12:46:36 pm »
welcome.  great to have folks from other places.  let us know about beekeeping in the Philippines!  when you have posted enough, you'll be able to share pictures, but in the mean time, share your story.

glad to have you!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 08:58:13 pm »
Welcome!

As we go into winter, maybe you can keep us warm with your stories of beekeeping in more warmer climates...  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Bochekokik

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:42:05 pm »
kathyp, BjornBee, thank you very much for the warm welcome.
I have started browsing the forums and some of my long time questions were properly answered (thanks).
For the beekeeping condition here in the Baguio City (City on top of the mountains), we are in the middle of the honeyflow. Its actually getting cold but not that cold compare to winter in other parts of the world. We have 2 colonies for now, but planning to split it after December. So far so good, we are still trying to immerse ourselves into this trade, and for sure we still have a lot to learn from this trade.
We have a small group of beekeepers as well (under one of the University) and we have been sharing info and techniques. Glad to have found this site so we have some access to information from other side of the world.
Thanks again.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 09:51:09 pm »
Hello and Welcome Raymond
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 02:57:24 pm »
Hello Everybody,
My name is Raymond from the Philippines. I have just started joining the beekeeping bandwagon this year. So far we have 2 colonies and planning to split it after the honeyflow season.
Im very glad to have found this site, hope to learn from the veteran beekeepers and also to share info as well.

What part of the Philippines?  My father spent a lot of time there during WWII and earned a knife from the Ifogu and helped free the POWs at Cabanata.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline qabloona

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 07:44:12 pm »
Hi Raymond and welcome. I am just starting out in bee-keeping and am enjoying reading posts from around the world. I have several friends from the Philippines in Ottawa, Canada and love hearing stories of their homeland. Also, all the nurses in Nunavut, the coldest part of Canada, are from the Philippines. These ladies are so brave because they work under very harsh conditions that native born Canadians find difficult. :)

Best wishes
Dave

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 10:58:53 am »
Raymond, welcome to our forum.  It is fun to hear the tales and experiences from individuals that keep bees in different climates in the world.  You are on the very tip top of a mountain?  We love to have new members and welcome everything that they can bring to enhance our forum.  Here you will find that place where there are people that listen.  Share your life with the bees with us.  Most of us are going into winter now, (except for a few, hee, hee), and our bees are clustering.  You are in a climate where the bees will be split soon, such a foreign thought, smiling.  Stick around, here you will also make some very good friends, that you will soon see.  Have a wonderful and most awesome day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bochekokik

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 12:03:43 am »
Thanks for the welcome.

To Brian D. Bray, I think you mean Ifugao, not Ifugo. Ifugao is such a nice place. If you love the mountains, the wilderness, this is the place to go. Been there once during our trailing adventure a few years back. The trip was rigorous, exhaustive, sore butt (from motorcycle ride) but its all worth it once you reach the place.
There are also a couple of beekeepers on that area. Their colonies are positioned just a few inches from the cliff. They are living on the edge, literally. One wrong move and the beekeeper will find himself/herself plunging into a deep river 100ft below(they don't have any safety harness, ropes etc). Nobody has died eversince, but a few have fallen, and have to traverse for another 12 hours to go back. They dont look at it as hazardous, but rather adventurous hobby/job. Im just glad that my colony is not located in Ifugao  :)

Baguio is a city on top of the mountains. It was the last stronghold of the Japanese Imperial Army during WW2, evident from several war relics that can be found in the city. The City was also built during the American occupation to provide a place of relaxation when people wants to get away from the summer heat of the lowlands, that is why a lot of places are named after them. Camp John Hay, Burnham Park, Kennon Road, Wright Park, etc.

I have started browsing thru that forums, and found it to be very informative. Some of my questions were already answered just by browsing thru. Hope to share some info also in the future.
Right now, my bees are busy foraging thru the sunflower bloom. Baguio color is now becoming yellow from the sunflower bloom. This weekend I'll try to check if I can harvest some of the honey. I got this colonies as 3-framer colonies last June, now both have double box, and a honey super.

To Cindi, Brian, Dave, Johnny, and to everybody,
Thank you very much for the welcome. Im happy to be part of this community.

anything