Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from the Pacific Northwest  (Read 1859 times)

Offline JayDub

• Brood
Greetings from the Pacific Northwest
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:36:08 pm »
Hi All from Western Washington! :)

I'm a relative new beekeeper going into my third spring season. I have four hives at home and help my in-laws with a swarm we caught at their house last year. I'll be splitting a couple of my stronger hives this spring and hope to catch another swarm or two to increase my apiary.

I belong to two bee clubs, the "Lewis County Beekeepers Association" and the "Olympia Beekeepers Association" and am currently enrolled in a Journeyman Beekeepers class taught by the Olympia club.

I hope to pick up some more knowledge and ideas from this site and maybe someday I'll be able to pass it along to aspiring beekeepers like myself.

JayDub

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Greetings from the Pacific Northwest
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 03:41:40 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:55:21 pm »
hi and welcome.  you might consider putting a more specific location in your profile.  there are a number of us from the PNW, but as you know, the climates here can be quite different in just a short distance.  if you need area specific info, knowing a little more about where you are will help.

beekeeping here is pretty good most of the time.  we are blessed with lots of forage for the bees and we don't  have things like SHB!! 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 04:43:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum and someday you will pass beekeeping on.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 02:48:53 pm »
Welcome, Jay!  Wow!  Two bee clubs, a growing number of hives, and journeyman classes?  You're a very busy person!  This is a great site and you are gonna love it here! 

I'm a member of the Pierce County Beekeeping club and am also in the journeyman class.  Nice to have another member close to home.  I agree with KathyP, it helps to have your location...microclimates and all that!

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:44:27 pm »
Welcome to the site!