Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mr. Bray i tried it  (Read 2325 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Mr. Bray i tried it
« on: July 16, 2006, 11:54:57 pm »
Hello

Mr. Bray i thought alot about what you said about the vanilla spray so i took some to the hive and sprayed some on the bees in front and boy did they enjoy that little spray and sucked up every drop so i am going to go for it and spray each frame down with the bees on it and then i am going to turn her loose and spray a little on her and close them up and check them for queen cells before i spray first then if n none is seen then it is a good chance they will take her.

Tom

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Mr. Bray i tried it
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 01:07:48 am »
Good luck.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tom

• House Bee
It' done
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 11:00:10 am »
Hello Mr. Bray

I did it sir i went to the hive and i sprayed every bee and frame in the hive. Then i took the queen cage out and sprayed it and when ther bees came on top of the frame i sprayed them again and then i let her walked out and sprayed her and then i saw her eating and bees where cleaning her off then she went between the frames and i destroyed some more queen cells before i did and spraying. And i left them some in a jar on top of the hive with a super on top so nothing will enter so now i will keep my fingures cross and pray this works. If the smell is gone won't her scent be over the hive and they will stop building cells  or will she destroy them herself.

Tom

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Mr. Bray i tried it
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 11:16:54 pm »
If you missed any queen cells be prepared for the possiblity of a swarm, new queen or not.  In some hives where the creation of queen cells are done on a staggered basis--it is not unusual to have a swarm every time a different age of queen emerges.  I've seen hives that have swarmed as many as five times in 3 weeks.  Of course the last swarm is about the size of a baseball and the swarming decimated the hive.

I'm glad the vanilla worked, it is a technique that has become labled as an old wives tale just like many folk medicine remedies.  

Extra room is a good way to curb the swarm urge.  In a pinch just replacing a few frames with foundation can head off a building swarm situation.  Avoid overcrowding and you can reduce swarming by 50%.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline COLVIN

• House Bee
VANILA
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:37:58 am »
how did you mix the vanila spray. i am requeening this weekend and may try this technique.  thanks for the reply in advance.
FROM BEE TO THEE, BEE BUZZING ON

Offline tom

• House Bee
Colvin this is how i done it
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 05:43:20 pm »
Hello

colvin you take some sugar sryup and then you put it into a spray bottle then you get some pure cvanilla extract and pour it all in and then i shook it up. And when you go to your hive do a good inspection that there are no queen cells and if you find any destory them and then put your queen in and leave her for a couple of days like did and then go back and look for more cells and if you do find any destroy them and then you take out each frame and spray both sides along with the bees you do every frame and then when you release the queen wait till she comes out of her cage and spray her and then make sure she goes between the frames and then close your hive up and go back a couple of days later to see how she is doing. But make sure none of the spray gets on the outside then you will have to deal with ants i put cinnimon around my hive so they won't come near.

Tom