Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Poo?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
Bee Poo?
« on: April 18, 2009, 11:29:26 pm »
My son and I just hived our first two packages of bees and it went pretty well...he even got a bee in his veil early on and just continued to work until we were done...with the bee crawling around his ear. 

My stupid question is this: We noticed our new white hats and white shirts had quite a few little brown specks on them when we were done...is that normal?  I thought the bees flew around to relieve themselves...it must have been a long trip from California...haha.  Just curious if they typically do this when you are checking a hive, or just with new package bees that have been cooped up for a few days?
-Mike

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
Re: Bee Poo?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:39:22 pm »
Yes, it's bee poo.  I think they save it up for installation day.   :evil:
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:40:20 pm »
Package bees do a lot of pooping when they are let out. I notive that they are very good at hitting moving targets :)

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 12:35:07 pm »
Bee's are like " most " living things they will try to avoid relieving them selves
in their house, nest, etc.

But at the first opprtunity, get out of the way, You know the feeling I'm sure !

Hint;
I see you are from Idaho, cold long winters, come springtime on the first couple of bright sunny 50 degree days, DO Not hang your washing out or park your car near your hives.

You know when you gotta go, you gotta go !

Another thing you might want to designate one shirt just for beekeeping.
{ propolis is a killer to get out }

Gotta Go Now.
Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "