Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Management Software  (Read 8663 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Hive Management Software
« on: January 09, 2011, 11:17:52 pm »
Just wondering if anybody uses any software to manage their hives? I found an interesting one this morning whereby you can print out barcoded labels to identify your hives and you can scan them with an iPhone to automatically bring up all of the information relevant to that hive

Offline taztiger

• New Bee
Re: Hive Management Software
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 04:57:52 pm »
G'day Oz
I've just started playing with "HiveTracks" but that software sounds interesting.
cheers
Taz

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:54:25 am »
Notes and history written down on top of each hive saves a lot of electricity and greenhouse gas. I use a whiteboard marker gives you a couple of years for each box.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:58:03 pm »
Notes and history written down on top of each hive saves a lot of electricity and greenhouse gas. I use a whiteboard marker gives you a couple of years for each box.

It doesn't get washed off with the rain or when you rub on it?

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 06:05:56 am »
I use whiteboard marker because I have some, no probs with rain although some of the others up here use permanent markers and/or a notebook in the back pocket.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:52 am »
Hey Ozz what is that software called you are using?

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:53:09 pm »
Doug, sounds like he's using "BeeTight".  I downloaded it and he's right about the bar codes and you can use it right on your iPhone or other smart phones as well.  It's pretty cool and a low price too.  Personally, I decided to try Hive Tracks myself because it's free. However, they are both web-based and the data is stored remotely.  That's the one thing I don't like about EITHER of them... your data input is subject to mining by others who you don't know.   Probably not a huge deal, but I'm an individualist and I'm not sure I like other folks I don't know being able to see my data and know what I'm doing [he says as he lifts the tin foil hat to scratch his head].

--John

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 07:22:25 am »
Doug, sounds like he's using "BeeTight".  I downloaded it and he's right about the bar codes and you can use it right on your iPhone or other smart phones as well.  It's pretty cool and a low price too.  Personally, I decided to try Hive Tracks myself because it's free.--John

I loaded "BeeTight". it is 15€/year. I think that it is free.

It is interesting with phone connection.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 01:04:59 am »
Hey Ozz what is that software called you are using?

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

I haven't got any yet although i found one that seems to be pretty good online www.beetight.com

Offline carolinabees

• Brood
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 02:36:47 pm »

It doesn't get washed off with the rain or when you rub on it?

Use a China Marker, or what some call a grease pencil. You can find them in stationary stores.

We write straight on top of the hive lid. It doesn't wash away and you can write even when it is raining.

We have been experimenting with Hive Tracks. So far we like it, though there is a host of usability features they could improve. We have experimented with BeeTight, but... it's even more awkward.

You can export your data out of Hive Tracks, by the way.

Notes on each hive is great info. The "brick method" is helpful. But there is nothing like a written record, in one place, to see trends over time or get a quick "look" at all your hives (we have hives in multiple locations). I.e., I don't have to drive to my hives to get a reminder of what I did there.

Try Hive Tracks.

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 09:24:22 am »
I use the Arnia system on some of my hives. It?s a bit pricey, but satisfies the nerd for statistics in me.
All my proper records are handwritten in books. And I use hieroglyphs on frames.
 :embarassed:

Offline ropate

• New Bee
  • Newbee
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 02:08:21 am »
I've just started using Hive Keepers... pretty indepth!  Will check out Arnia

anything