Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: the mites are here  (Read 4757 times)

Offline lee

• House Bee
    • http://budsbees.com
the mites are here
« on: May 30, 2005, 04:25:53 am »
i got 4 new hives this year. one of the hives was not doin to good. less then a half of frame of comb so far this year. so i did the news paper method on it. it work all of the bees went into the other hive.now i took out the frame and look at it real close. the was a queen cell on it . i broke it open and there they were. 2 mites on the larvae. this was a new pack of bees from this year. what to do now .helpppp :(

Offline lee

• House Bee
    • http://budsbees.com
the mites are here
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 04:29:15 am »
here is a pic of the frame

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: the mites are here
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 05:30:20 am »
Surely mites are in every hives.

First, make a foundation, where is  1/3 from lower part away. Bees build there drone cells.  When drone larvas are capped, about 50% of mites go on drones. So you see how many they are. And so you cut away drone cells.

There is problem with you hive, why it want to change the queen. Is it swarming or does queen have some problem?

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
the mites are here
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 08:32:04 pm »
Lee, you could do a drop test check for mites (a little tray that slides into the hive and sits on the bottom board).  You know you have them, it's a matter of how many.  A few is not a huge problem.  You could certainly plan to medicate in the fall, but with a new hive, you won't be taking any honey off anyway, I suppose, if you do a check and have a large number, you could medicate now.

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
the mites are here
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 05:17:56 pm »
To test for mites you could also make a "mite shaker".  All you have to do is get a few tbs. of powdered sugar and put it in a jar.  Get about 100 bees into the jar and shake it vigerously.  Finnally, wait a few minutes cause the bees will be EXTREAMLY annoyed then dump the contents with the bees onto a sheet of wax paper.  The bees will fly away, a little disoriented, and most of the mites that were on them will have been shaken off and can be easily seen against the white wax paper and powdered sugar.

Offline wingmaster

• New Bee
the mites are here
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2005, 10:51:04 am »
In a hive that’s week you will not be putting on supers so treat them. You can't afford to loose a jar full of bees to do an either roll. So just treat them. I use sucrocide on any bees that don't have brood. If you treat a swarm or package before you hive them with sucrocide you can nock the mites down so they can get a good start. I only treat the bees not the queen. :lol:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
the mites are here
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 12:58:22 pm »
I've never found mites on a queen cell before.  That would tend to worry me.  But the point is to quantify the problem.  Use some method to measure the mite load.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
the mites are here
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2005, 01:41:05 am »
Lee, I was wondering what ever happened to that sick hive you had. What did you do  or was all lost?
Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

All that's golden must bee honey!

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
the mites are here
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 02:33:51 am »
Quote from: Michael Bush
I've never found mites on a queen cell before.  That would tend to worry me.  But the point is to quantify the problem.  Use some method to measure the mite load.

A month ago I got just emerged  queen and it has mite on back. It was engaged and just born. I am quite sure that mite was in the pupa.  I killed queenfor the case that mite has sucked it's blood.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: the mites are here
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 02:40:23 am »
Quote from: lee
i got 4 new hives this year. one of the hives was not doin to good. less then a half of frame of comb so far this year. so i did the news paper method on it. :(

What you mean? Not good brood area?  Chalk brood is mostly reason for bad brood area. Bad mite problems are seen in emerged bees.

If you have chalk brood, first thing is to change the queen.

If hive want to raise queen cell, it means that queen has something wrong. They change it sooner or later. Nosema is one reason for bad condition of queen.   Get a new egg laying queen so you get winter bees.