Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Wisconsin  (Read 3392 times)

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
Greetings from Wisconsin
« on: July 31, 2009, 05:11:57 am »
Hi All

We're empty nesters in our first year, starting with 2 packages of Carniolans in April.  Bruce is a manufacturing Instructor at a local community college (Tool & Die, CNC, CAM) in his 28th year of teaching, and Minnie is a CNA, working with the elderly for 20+ years.  We are avid gardeners (Bruce - Veggies and Trees, Minnie - Formal flower gardens), and have been researching and thinking of keeping bees for years.  This year we decided to take the plunge!  Hopefully, we can develop some skills and have some fun selling honey at local farmer's markets for some supplemental income in our rapidly approaching retirement.  More fun than selling, I'm sure!

We look forward to learning from members' experiences, and have already had our fair share of "head-scratchers" during our first summer (not the least of which was requeening a hive that went WL and a cool, dry Wisconsin summer).  Challenges like preparing for winter in the "frozen tundra", and trying to stay as chemically independent, as possible, are looming on the horizon.

So, on to learning and sharing.

BB's

By the way, for those challenged in the Potawotamie and Sauk Fox names around here, it's O-cah-no-mo-walk (where waters meet). ;)
Some days you just have to learn the hard way!

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Greetings from Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 07:32:22 pm »
Hello and Welcome BruinnieBear
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny   

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:53:52 pm »
Hello and Welcome BruinnieBear.

Bobby

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:01:47 pm »
gardening and bees go well together.  we have a gardening section on here also.  what do you teach?

welcome!   :)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 01:16:28 pm »
My error in clarity, Kathy!  I teach concepts of metalworking in manufacturing.

Like a number of the abbreviations used in beekeeping, toolmaking has its own group.  First of all, toolmakers don't make the individual tools that we use on a daily basis (knives, forks, spoons, hammers, saws, hive tools and the like).  Toolmakers build the "tools" that are used to manufacture these more well known tools.

As the tools we use have become increasingly complex, toolmakers have come to rely on computer control to assist them with the traditional metalworking machine tools and processes (lathes, milling machines, drill presses, etc.).  I attempt to teach my students the programming that is necessary to make these computer controlled (CNC -Computer Numerical Control) machine tools function.  CAM (Computer Assisted Manufacturing) and CAD (Computer Assisted Design) software is used on "off-line" computers to create the, sometimes daunting, program information (like for the mold used to create that mouse you're pushing around right now) for CNC machines.

Maybe, more than you bargained for ... but, hey, you asked.:-D

BB

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 03:00:21 am »
Welcome to the forum...

We have had quite a few members from Wisconsin lately, I mentioned recently how much I enjoyed my visit there several times including the time that my wife and I were married wther the rotunda of madison's capitol building.

Has something to be said about the Midwest, a technological lifestyle with a more laid back and relaxed atmosphere something that we here in New Jersey could use,

I hope that you enjoy the forum and that it will assist you in any way a that you need or that you can bring your own knowledge to help others here.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 01:23:26 am »
By the way, for those challenged in the Potawotamie and Sauk Fox names around here, it's O-cah-no-mo-walk (where waters meet). ;)

Welcome, BruinnieBear! When I was growing up in the Oconomowoc area, I was told that it was founded by an exhausted explorer, who gasped in his weariness "Ah can no mo walk!" ;)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:14:56 pm »
Tongue in cheek, I suspect. ;)  But, nope!  Just good old Potawotamie!

BB 

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:48:24 pm »
Welcome to the forum...

Has something to be said about the Midwest, a technological lifestyle with a more laid back and relaxed atmosphere something that we here in New Jersey could use,

I hope that you enjoy the forum and that it will assist you in any way a that you need or that you can bring your own knowledge to help others here.

A visit from the Grand Beemaster!  I'm truly honored! :-D

Your site is great, more useful, and definitely, more "laid back and relaxed" than others I've visited.  Your membership is your strength.

I look forward to the learning and sharing found here, even though it might be at an "accellerated", New Jersey pace! :shock:

Oh, and you need to cross the state line, into Iowa, before you get to the Midwest.  Wisconsin is a Great Lakes state. :lol:

BB

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 05:09:07 am »
Welcome again from wisconsin.  There has been a lot of new members from wisconsin.  I wonder whats pushing the numbers. 

Anyway, this forum is great.  It seams I now spend as much time on this forum as I do with my bees half the time.

Good luck with the bees and may you have a bountiful harvest.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 10:53:49 pm »
BB, welcome to our forum, so great you found us, we are that wonderful bunch of people here, you have seen this and you will enjoy to share your time with us.  You and your Wife are up to some cool stuff, empty nesters, seems that does happen eventually to everyone that has had children, my Husband and I have children that have moved on too, but we have Grandsons!!!  Yay!!!  Stick around.  This will be a place where you can share your many tales, stories and experiences, you will make some very good new friends, we can also be those that you can lean on for some great advice, we love to listen, and we love to reply.  Have a most wonderful day, to love and live with the best of health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 11:07:43 pm »

Oh, and you need to cross the state line, into Iowa, before you get to the Midwest.  Wisconsin is a Great Lakes state. :lol:

BB

You surely are correct about our membership being our strength, and I like to think we have that laid back feel as well - very good observations. I guess my preception of WI being MidWest is like generically saying that Utah or Arizona is The West - to Me it is, but then again, I'm only 12 miles from the Atlantic :) Again, welcome and it was Beemaster's pleasure to be married in such a wonderful state!

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline BruinnieBear

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 03:33:34 am »
my Husband and I have children that have moved on too, but we have Grandsons!!!  Yay!!!  Stick around. 

Thanx Cindi

God willing, I hope I can stick around!  The way I've got it figured, I should be into the great-grandchildren in about four or five years! ... and I haven't had to requeen in 37! :shock:

BB

Bruce & Minnie Fairbanks

anything