Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So what if you significant other is allergic?  (Read 2480 times)

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
So what if you significant other is allergic?
« on: December 12, 2006, 05:56:36 pm »

Does anyone have bees and someone in there family is allergic to them.  My husband says he allergic to bees, he told me that he been stung and his whole hand swollen up.  I understand that this is a reaction but I am a EMT and I know some people react strong than others, like me I get just a bump and itchness.  So far he not severarly allergic but the question is what do you do to justify having the bees? :?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: So what if you significant other is allergic?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 07:21:22 pm »
i get great huge welts that are hot and itchy and last for a couple of weeks. (that's a great sentence to diagram :-) )  there is a difference between an allergy and a reaction.

the honey bees don't sting to often.  if your SO were to stay away from the hive, I'd think there would not be to much danger.  he/she would be more at risk of being stung by a yellow jacket or wasp on any given day.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Paraplegic Racehorse

• House Bee
  • Kilted beekeepers unite!
    • Me Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:37:53 pm »
Everyone I know who is allergic to beesting suffers anaphylaxis. That's the only thing I would worry about when it comes to sting allergies.

As it happens, almost every beekeeper I met when I was working in Washington had either a child or spouse who suffered anaphylaxis from beesting. None of them kept hives near the home. The honey-house and hive-parts storage were also located away from home. There was a sting kit in each vehicle and several in the home.
I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 07:53:05 pm »
Okay I can see I am going to be a pain the butt.
My sister claimed she was allergic to bees. I was like OOO ReaLlY?
When did you develop this sudden allergy to bees?
She said she has always been allergic to bees.
I stated you and I both went in for allergy tests when were were kids I remember the results because the only one who had any allergies was me. And the reaction was negligable and it was to dogs.
So I continued. Being that I have had multiple dogs in my life and you have had the same tests I have. I know you are not allergic to bees. I said no you may be scared of them but you are not allergic to them. She wasn't happy with the statement I made and I futher upset her by saying I have an allergy to broccoli. And my allergy stems from the fact that I can't stand the taste of it and I have actually tried on several occasions to eat it. My sister got real mad and stormed away and her husband clutch his stomach from laughing do hard for five minuets.

I tend to very sceptical if someone says they are allergic. I tend to want medical proof.

But than again I can be a bastard like that.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:16:33 pm »
>he told me that he been stung and his whole hand swollen up.

That's a normal reaction.  That is NOT an allergic reaction.

An allergic reaction is SYSTEMIC, not local.  Usually it involved hives (all over or at least in a place remote from the sting) and difficulty breathing.

If a significant other WAS allergic they should get desensitized. There are stinging insects everywhere and sooner or later you WILL get stung.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 09:17:45 pm »
Thats basically what I told him, LOL I think its all in the head LOL. ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 11:22:08 pm »
So this topic brings me to the topic of my son-in-law.  Now this man is a strange one.  He is very macho, biker, tough guy.  He lives on my property with my daughter and two grandsons.  I love him to pieces and he does me.  My word is gospel, and heaven help anyone that would ever offend his mother-in-law.  Good relationship.  Now when I told him that I was going to begin to keep bees, he was terrified.  I delved into his feelings and he said that when he gets stung, get him to the hospital right away.  Of course this caused a terror within me and I talked to him deeper.  As it turns out (now this biker, macho dude in an incredible b___l-s___tter,  not to be crude, but there is no other word for him.  He embelishes with every thing that he talks about and makes our lives very interesting with his wonderful stories.  He told me that when he was a kid he got stung by a bee on the neck and his neck swelled up and he had to go to the hospital.  To this day, I still do not know whether to believe him or not.  So, I respect that he may need medical immediately.  Like every responsible beekeeper, I do keep antihistamine products here, for in any case.  So, I got bees anyways, I just told him to stay clear and not step on one.  He was pretty disgruntled, but his mother-in-law had spoken and my decision must be accepted.  So, now I have been keeping bees for over year now, he has not been stung once.  He was worried about riding his "toys" out the back, going over jumps and stuff and irritating the bees.  Nothing he ever did irritated him.  He actually "came out of his closet" with the bees last summer.  It was a beautiful thing to see.  My sister and I and others always gather around the apiary on nice summer evenings, sharing a glass of wine and good conversation.  He has seen us from afar many, many times, and sees that the bees don't even pay the slightest attention to us.  Never has anyone here been stung just by standing around where the bees are.  I guess his curiosity about our conversations finally got the better of him and he came to the apiary knoll and joined us.  He stood with his arms crossed, as he always does, looking everywhere out of the corner of his eyes.  It was rather hilarious to watch.  So....good for my son-in-law, his fear of the evil bee has gone by the wayside.  This was a wonderful day for me, and I felt that he had overcome a silly little fear in his toughy way of life.  He is my best friend.  Have a great day all.  The girls do not want to sting and give up their life, only if they must be protecting their hives or themselves.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service