Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting ready to really do this  (Read 1882 times)

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
Getting ready to really do this
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:00:05 am »
I am getting ready to take the plunge. I saw an ad on craigslist. I will not post a link to the ad because it is getting awful close to the "no selling rule" in the updated rules. I will post a little of the content though. Here it is

"These hives will be in a box with 4 frames of bees,brood,and honey. I will need a 25% deposit that is non refundable"

He is asking $150 for this.

My question is this, ¿is this something that would be good for me or do yall suppose I should start out with new equipment?
Wine Maker
Gardener
BBQ Competition Enthusiast
Interested in Hot Peppers
Texas Apiary Inspection Service

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Getting ready to really do this
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:11:20 am »
Are you saying they are $150 each for a four frame nuc?

As for the new equipment part, I suggest you stick with registered operations, those that are in the business of selling nucs and those that their business depends that same reputation.

Know who you buy nucs from. Are you getting nucs with frames built for nuc sales, or are they culled from full size hives with 30 year old comb? Does the operation not only use harsh chemicals, but what about off label use? Are these his queens or are they queens bought and added at the last minute to a few frames of bees? I could go on and on.

If he is close by, ask if you can stop by and chat and perhaps take a peek at the operation. Those not willing to do this, or unable or hesitant in answering questions....I'd be looking elsewhere. Take along another beekeeper with some experience.

Good Luck.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Conchis

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 10:14:33 am »
Thanks for this reply Bjornbee, these are things I would have never thought of asking or even thinking about. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 10:31:45 am »
Very good advice. ^^^

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 12:09:09 pm »
I would definitely take along another beekeeper with some experience.  The gentleman selling these probably has  good intentions, but, experience never hurts.  If you don't know anyone, look up a local bee club and join.  They should be more than willing to help you get started.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:59:44 pm »
$150 sounds high even for a establed hive with a brood box and frames.  The other points are good as well. 

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 02:16:23 pm »
You could get 2-3   3# packages for 150.00 which I think is a better choice for a new person.  There is alot of anxiety the first time you stick you nose in a hive.   With package bee's it allows you to grow with the colony.  Plus you with have more colonies to compare.  They will be differant in strengths and temperment.