Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should I buy a new queen or pinch the old bag and let them make a new one?  (Read 3165 times)

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
I've never re-queened before so I'm not sure what's best.  One of my hives is a trapout about a year old.  The queen was made from the frame of brood I put in the trap hive, so I know she's not old.  They are still starting to get aggressive.  I had one nail me 20' from the hive.  I really want to preserve their genetics, as they are very hygenic.  I've never seen another hive so intolerant of shbs.  I used a nucleus of what was left of a queenless hive that the shbs had decimated.  The trapped-out bees completely cleaned out the shb larvae and turned the hive into a thriving colony.  To date I have only seen ONE shb in the hive, and that was after I added another deep with too many frames for them to cover.  I've read that to keep the bees gentle, one should re-queen every year.  Should I pinch the old one and let them make a new one, or should I buy one and take my chances?  (I can get local queens from a guy in my beek assn.)

Kelly
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Spent the money and get a good queen fast. 

Offline wd

• Field Bee
It is said that migratory beeks here in Ca. requeen a minimum of twice a year to minimize the possible spread of ahb but I haven't done that personally.

I think it is a matter of what you decide.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
I'd make a small nuc with the existing queen(so you'll have her in case something goes wrong) and give them a shot at making their own.  If you want to preserve their genetics that is.  That way if they fail to make a new queen you can put the old one back until you can get one from a local queen breeder.  Once the colony is up and running with the new queen(either their own or a purchased one) you can pinch the queen or perhaps sell her to another beek who is willing to put up with their over-defensive nature in exchange for their hygienic traits.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
There really is no reason to put up with a hot temper hive.   She will most likely though a mean spirit daughter from her genetics.  Also, you don't want to lose a month of brood for them to requeen themselves.

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee

Do a Marie Antoinette treatment on her royal meanness and get a better tempered queen. You don't want to have those genetic traits. I have had hot hives before and its just not any fun.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
If this hive has shown itself to be consistently aggressive, I would requeen with a queen from a gentler colony.

The sooner you get a new one in, the sooner the resolve will begin. Allowing a mean queenright hive to become queenlees while they are making a new queen just adds time to the entire issue and they may become even more aggressive while making a new queen.

Nip it in the bud as quickly as you can.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com