Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cut out  (Read 10949 times)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Cut out
« on: August 16, 2010, 03:28:45 am »
Here are tho photos from the latest call to perform a cutout. The bees are nested on the right hand side of the chimney in the last picture. The house is due to be demolished in a fortnight's time so if we want it it's a next weekend job.
Looking down the chimney the nest appears to be about 3 feet down. We could not see how far down the comb extends. We decided not to stick our heads into the opening as the guards were getting a bit edgey.

The roof is a bit risky due to height and slope (those live power cables we climbed over to get to the chimney should be disconnected this week), but alternative access is through the brickwork on the first floor (second floor for those of you on the other side of the pond) which should bring us in just below the comb (depending on how far down it extends).

So Ozbuzz, it'll be a bit of work, are you up for it?

Assuming that we open up the chimney and we are just below the comb, I was thinking that we take the whole nest in one piece (if possible) and dump it straight into a box and worry about putting it into frames at a later time once it has been relocated. What do you, or anyone else, think?

The weather is mostly cold at the moment (winter but improving!) with the occasional warm day. Which is why I want to disrupt the bees as little as possible.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Re: Cut out
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 10:59:48 pm »
We're talking about partly demolishing a house! am i up for it! bring it on hahaha.

Is Saturday good for you? I'm busy sunday...early start?

I've got those secondhand boxes that i mentioned:

1 X Deep with four old frames and four plastic drawn frames
2 X mediums with fully drawn comb

I also have another deep box but don't have any frames to go in it...

I can chop the comb out of the medium frames (albeit i'd sooner use full depth frames but it's what i have laying around)
It all looks a bit old and manky so anything i take away will be going in an isolation yard away from my main hives - plus we don't know what the colony might have. When i inspected that back bungalow there was a cupboard loaded with dead bees. It looks like a pest controller might have been in there but i'm not 100% certain - if not then something caused them to die en-mass. 

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 02:58:10 am »
I might even have a shot at making up a couple of plywood 5 frame nucleus Five Frame Plywood Nucleus and get hold of some new frames for them... I've just gotten hold of a heap of 12mm plywood here at work for free

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:48:41 am »
Bring it all along. We will probably need to make it up as we go depending on what we find when we punch the hole in the chimney.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 05:08:34 am »
Will do... Do you have any empty frames?

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 08:27:29 am »
        Where abouts is it that you fellows will be having fun on Saturday? Dont know how I will be situated then but will give thought to watching the fun and games and offer a spare pair of hands if needed.
        Good to see you blokes keeping the Down Under forum alive.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 10:22:24 am »
Good to see atleast one of the old crowd is still with us!

The nest is in Eaglemont (near Heidelberg). I tell you though, I'm a bit annoyed with Julia calling an election on cut-out day. It really makes the logistics of voting when I need to be at the site early a bit of a challenge.

I'm not sure if I have any frames Buzz, will need to scrounge around.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 11:39:43 am »
Can the owner leave the key somewhere? I can get there early and atleast take the plaster off until you get there.... I'm going to try and make up five or six nucs and see if I can get new frames for them on friday

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 12:51:44 am »
Hi All,

These are the pics from the weekend's fun filled cut out. The comb (black too) was at least 2m high possibly as much as 3m. We didn't go down any further than you can see in the pics as there didn't seem much activity in the bottom part. Didn't see the queen but OzBuzz had ordered one from KI just in case. The job took us about 5 hours and we had to pull down the ceiling and push off some tiles to get good access. We grabbed all the brood we could find, which wasn't much, and some stores of honey.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:43:04 am »
Now that was quite the undertaking! Let us know how they do and if you did in fact get the queen. By the looks of it the original colony had established itself a very long time ago.

Bet y'all were glad it was a house being demolished instead of one inhabited, that would have made things even more interesting, at least for the home owners!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:04:44 am »
Looks like that was a rough one for sure! I hate having to go through masonry. Great job you two!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 04:26:32 pm »
Goodness, what a mess.  Did you have fun at it? :-D

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 08:17:27 pm »
Thanks guys. Yes, we had fun. It's comming towards the end of winter here and we are both hanging out to get back into the active part of keeping and chasing swarms. The chance of collecting a feral hive was just too good to pass up.  :-D

It certainly beat the many calls I've had over the last couple of months only to find when I got there that it was a wasp nest.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 10:37:40 pm »
Another week another call! Going to have a look at another one this lunch time not far from work.  :)

Come spring, I reckon I'm going to be flat out. 8-)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 12:38:09 am »
More Winter fun!

No bricks to remove here. First time I have ever seen them camped directly on the ground. I wonder if they are inside that pot too?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:43:45 am by philinacoma »

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 08:10:10 pm »
Hey OzBuzz,

How are the new girls? I don't expect you to have opened them up yet, but is there much activity? I know it has been cold the last couple of days, are they collecting pollen if they are going out?

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 08:55:05 am »
G'day mate, I did go in, super quickly, for a manual release of the queen on Monday. She quickly raced down between the frames with the bees feeding and cleaning her-release a success! When I was combining the two boxes on Sunday (I put all the honey we found plus some empty comb to fill up most of the space) I noticed tgey had filled about half a frame with nectar in one day... They have also been bringing in pollen. I haven't put a feeder in yet-I'm hoping they can make us of the warmer patches to forage plus the honey I put in there. I haven't had a chance to make another hive body or divider board yet so I can feed them in the hive. I just hope the new queen has gone to work laying and that they're making new comb. Sunday and Monday are supposed to be 18 & 19oC which will be good for them as there are lots of flowers in bloom around here including wattle

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 10:25:23 pm »
If you get some time, can you check something for me in regards to wattle trees. I had heard that there is next to no nectar in them and the pollen is protein poor so that the bees leave them alone. I had a walk around this morning doing some bee spotting while I waited for a couple of tyres to be fixed and I only found one wattle. I could not see any bees at all the tree. There were bees in the area because I could see them on plum, almond and magnolia trees.

On another note someone in the beekeepers club collected their first swarm of the season on the weekend! - Bring it on baby!!! :)

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 10:53:32 pm »
I have 7 or 8 wattles, Cootamundra and a variety and my neighbours all have a few and they aren't popular with bees here.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 11:29:08 pm »
We have different species of wattle this way Phil and I have never seen a bee on them.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

anything