Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question  (Read 2209 times)

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
Question
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:39:21 pm »
I have opportunity to purchase a hive that the present owner says in full of honey.
1. Is it to late on the year to purchase this hive a transport it to my acerage.
2. Do I want to harvest the honey that is in the hive or do I need to leave it for the bees?

Thank You

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 06:43:08 pm »
It is not to late to move it to a new location. Define full......how many boxes and size?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 07:44:35 pm »
Date: 2008-10-03, 6:45PM CDT

Live honey bees. Full colony with queen bee. Includes hive box, frames, base and glass feeder. approx 7000 bees. Honey has not been harvested this year.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I saw this ad on Craingslist.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 07:50:12 pm »
I think the question was how many hive bodies and honey supers are on the hive.  I would think that most people overwinter hives with 2 deep hive bodies in your area.  Anything above those would be considered honey that you could harvest.  7,000 bees seems low for this time of year.  How did you get that number?
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 08:09:16 pm »
From the Craigslist ad.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 09:02:58 pm »
As far as moving you can do that anytime except in bitter cold.  Right now is good.  If you have the manpower, close it up after dark and load it up whole.  If not, then load it up close to dark and close it up after dark.

In your location (the same as my location) you'll need about 125 to 150 pounds to get through the winter.  If it weighs more than that you can probably harvest some.  Before you move it would be easier than after as it will make moving easier.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin