Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm # 19  (Read 1559 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Swarm # 19
« on: March 28, 2013, 11:33:12 pm »
Got # 19 in the back yard. Caught some of the swarm coming out of the hive on video.
Pretty cool video. Went from swarm coming out through the shake and hiving.
Even got lucky and saw the queen on the tip of the swarm and quickly caged her before starting.
It was nice and easy. Video link below.
Bailey
Swarm# 19.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Moots

Re: Swarm # 19
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 11:50:16 pm »
Nicely done!  Ever figured out what was going on with the Nuc on the other rack?

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:52:04 pm »
Just put my swarm box in the woods by this abandoned house that has a hugh hive in and was thinking I might need it before all said and done.  :shock: I better find time and build some more boxes. That is real cool to watch Bailey. May be available Monday but will have to call ya.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:40 am »
Moot.
Not really. One of two possible things occurred.

First, it could have been a usurping. ( a swarm takes over another small hive).
Or the nuc responded to the swarming pheromone being put off by the next door hive and many came out and flew around looking for their queen.  Then not finding her returned in a reverse swarm.

They were all quiet within 15 minutes.

I have seen one hive swarm out in response to an incoming swarm that came in from over the top of my house once before, and then saw the bees pour back into the home hive while the inbound swarm landed on my citrus tree in the back so I know it was 2 separate batches of bees.

Both times it seemed quite odd.
That's my theory.

Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 12:09:02 am »
Great video bailey... Congrats on swarm number 19.
Question: what is your record in a single season? Not cutouts--- just swarms.
I just told moots he was on his way to catching you, but for every one swarm someone else catches you seem to catch three... Lol  thanks for sharing !!!
Marshall

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 01:40:38 am »
Humm. What's my record for a season? 
So far ?
Will tell ya what the new record for me is in December  ;)
This year is my first year of really heavy trapping like I'm doing now. I have over 15 traps out right now and am putting out more every day I have off. The high number of traps and some serious scouting for good sites has helped a lot.
And I'm not passing on swarms if people aren't willing to pay for my fuel and time this year.
Bailey

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
Re: Swarm # 19a
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 04:09:05 am »
Awesome mate!

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 04:14:12 am »
How many hives do you have Bailey?

Ben

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 10:31:32 am »
i understand that. I'm going for every call just for the experience.  ;) Guy from work sent me a pic night before last of a swarm on the shutters in front of his house. Couldn't make it so told him if they were still there after work i would come by. The temps got down to around 35 around his house he said. when i got there more then 3/4's of the bees were under the shutter on the ground dead.  :? Asked if he tried spraying them and he said he wasn't threatened by them and just wanted me to have them (basically no). Is 35 degree weather enough to take out the majority of a swarm?  :'(
Marshall

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 11:01:57 am »
Squidink
Ihave about 50 not counting nucs.
Plan b.
Not too cold shouldn't have had that many die.  Sounds like a toxin.
( someone sprayed something.  )
Do they have mosquito control in that area?

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 11:37:25 am »
it was a fancy little neighborhood so i would imagine so.... they were located about 30 feet from the street-so that could make sense....  :( no good either way
Marshall

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 12:01:24 pm »
Maybe just cold.

They arn't dead until they are warm and dead.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 09:56:31 pm »
Thanks for all your videos bailey.

Really like them and you are really good at them.

Hope to have bees next Saturday. Hope to have a swarm trap up by then.

I have never seen a swarm in this area, but then again I have never looked.

I am from Mid Georgia where we have kuduz running out our ears and never noticed they flowered until I moved to Atlanta.  Who knew. :)

Anyway, WAY TO GO.

Thanks again,

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2013, 10:02:34 pm »
Good honey plant that kudzu. But hated by timber land owners. Crap will pull down trees.
Bailey

anything