Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First serious attempt at queen rearing  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
First serious attempt at queen rearing
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:50:54 pm »
I put a batch of cells in mating nucs that I got from the OTS methodology.  They emerged over a week ago and as of today, not a single one is laying.  We just had at least four days when the bees did not fly at all.  How long can it take and the queens still turn out OK?  This is my first attempt,  be gentle with me.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: First serious attempt at queen rearing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:54:17 pm »
Give it time...I don't check the new queens for at least 3 weeks.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline oregonbeeman

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 03:39:22 am »
I agree. Give them more time.

Offline BEES4U

• House Bee
    • E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:13:14 am »
Answer. With good weather, 12 days.

Good luck,
E. B. LUCAS APIARIES
bees4u.com
(Queen Breeder)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:03:13 pm »
I never expect eggs for two weeks after emergence.  I sometimes don't see eggs for three weeks after emergence...

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Buffalo Bee Farm

• New Bee
    • Buffalo Bee Farm
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 02:44:58 pm »
Fully agree with Michael Bush, made about 80 nucs this year and we had rain during the week of mating (by the calendar anyway) and it took an additional week to start seeing eggs. Had me nervous with money sitting in the bank i cant spend and customers waiting...

So have patience and always keep the weather in mind...

BTW Michael, I am looking forward to seeing and hearing you talk in Richmond in August! i have been a fan and sent many folks to your site over the past few years during my beginners courses. Keep up the good work!

Doug Ladd

anything