Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bald faced hornets  (Read 1657 times)

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
bald faced hornets
« on: September 01, 2009, 07:02:56 pm »
Is there a way to get read of thoses bald faced hornets? I'm feeding about  100 ft. from the hives and there seems to be getting a lot around the feeder. I made a cage around the feeder with 1/4 inch hardware cloth but that only stopped a few big ones. I never seen one before this year.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline the kid

• House Bee
Re: bald faced hornets
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 11:54:01 pm »
get a top feeder ,,, or try zip lock bagges , myself I use ziplock bagges  ,I have a top feeder but don't like them so it sets

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 11:56:04 pm »
i can't open feed at this time of the year.  causes to much trouble.  i use bucket or jar feeders over the inner cover. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:38:28 am »
Is there a way to get read of thoses bald faced hornets? I'm feeding about  100 ft. from the hives and there seems to be getting a lot around the feeder. I made a cage around the feeder with 1/4 inch hardware cloth but that only stopped a few big ones. I never seen one before this year.

What a great way to simulate a flow and stimulate the hives/queens into brood production at this time of the year. Brood is more important than honey stores going forward. I can't change the brood or bee numbers in a month if they are low in bee numbers. But I can always slap on 25 pounds of fondant. Many beekeepers are focused on the weight of hives, and feeding. But it is fall brood that carries the hive through winter and that should be the focus.

I usually have a few hornets or yellowjackets in the morning that take advantage of morning cool before the bees really get active. But once the honey bees get going, they quickly push the yellow jackets and hornets to the outside edges. They do little harm, and I'm sure they take little syrup, or at least not enough to worry about.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com