Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Long hive design???  (Read 2694 times)

Offline homer

• House Bee
Long hive design???
« on: January 11, 2009, 05:51:38 pm »
I was looking at this hive design on Beesource.com.  Looks like an interesting idea, and the guy says that it is one of his best honey producers, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this idea.

Sorry, I don't know how to post pics or I would, but here is a link to the site.

http://www.beesource.com/eob/condo/index.htm

Offline hardtime

• House Bee
Re: Long hive design???
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 06:14:36 pm »
go look on page 4 at the hive with two queens  post and look at bjornbee  picture of his hive and see what u think about it .
your frend   hardtime

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 06:39:40 pm »
here's video of me putting bees in one I built

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOS-YXlZIIo

it's interesting to mess with
no lifting is great
they have made much less honey than a langstroth hive for me

Dave

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 06:40:20 pm »
>I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this idea.

I've done many similar hives.  My main purpose was to eliminate lifting though.  So with a double wide deep (such as that one) I try to get the brood at one end and the supers on the other.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:12:52 pm »
I built three to try some out this year.  It will be fun to mess around with.  I like the idea of no lifting, and I like the fact that I could run these as a top bar hive as well.  Also, the no lifting would be great.  I wish I did this last year so I would have some more experiences to share with you!  If this works anything like the top bar hive that I had, it should be great.  That was a pleasure to work, and it was interesting to see the bees build a natural brood nest.  I'm going with foundationless frames to mimmick the top bar hive with the ease of using the frames.  If you would like one ready made, send me a PM. 

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:40:45 pm »
>I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this idea.

I've done many similar hives.  My main purpose was to eliminate lifting though.  So with a double wide deep (such as that one) I try to get the brood at one end and the supers on the other.

How do you isolate the honey from the brood if you have a long box like that though.  I like the idea as well, but it seems that it would be more difficult to keep the queen out of the honey.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:52:28 pm »
The next answer was better.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:25:19 am by HAB »

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:00:43 am »
I was looking at this hive design on Beesource.com.  Looks like an interesting idea, and the guy says that it is one of his best honey producers, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this idea.

Sorry, I don't know how to post pics or I would, but here is a link to the site.

http://www.beesource.com/eob/condo/index.htm

That's a fairly common configuration for a 2 queen, 2 brood box hive.  It will go gangbusters on production if the brood chambers are 2 boxes deep and then the offset supers above that.  In this setup it is importand to have a queen excluder set under the super.to keep both queens down in their respective brood chambers.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!