Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A picture is worth a thousand words  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
A picture is worth a thousand words
« on: July 09, 2004, 09:55:00 pm »
Sorry to be a nudge, everyone, but I want to do this right.  I've been fussing and futzing about what my colony has been doing, and trying to describe what has been happening.  It was suggested I get another super on before they decide to swarm.  I did, and the result is the same.  Maybe, I got to thinking, what they're doing is normal in hot, humid weather.  I wouldn't know what was normal and what wasn't if I saw it with my own eyes.  So I took some pictures to see if some more experienced eyes can tell me what's there.  These are taken at about 8 pm, temperature in the mid 70, with highs in the upper 80s through the day and humid.  

The front entrance . . .

The inner cover . . .

A close-up of the front entrance . . .

Do I just ned to lighten up?

-- Kris

PS -- Besides this forum, I've used "The Beekeeper's Handbook" by Sammataro and Avitabile as a reference.  And I just bought a copy of Beekeeping for Dummies.  Don't they say you should have two books?  

:)

Offline steve

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 09:56:24 am »
Ya Kris lighten up!!!
        If all your brood frames are drawn out you did the right thing by putting on a super......if your super frames contained just foundation it will do nothing to relieve conjestion the girls will have to start drawing the foundation out before your pictures will change.....be cool youngster, ya did the right thing!
                                 Steve

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 11:24:59 pm »
Kris,

If you want to get the bees from hanging on the front of the hive,  you can put a slatted rack between the bottom board and the first super.  This will give them more space under the brood as well as help with ventilation(not sure how much it helps with ventilation if your running SBBs though).

Otherwise, as Steve says - leave them alone and wait it out until they start drawing the foundation.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 06:00:48 pm »
Thanks for the advice, guys -- and the encouragement.  I am new at this and I just don't know.  I've already discovered, though, that the "dummies" book seems to explain these kind of basic questions a new-bee would have than the first manual I got.

-- Kris
(properly snapped out of it now)   :oops:

anything