Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Regarding the sugar water  (Read 2135 times)

Offline AdmiralD

• House Bee
Regarding the sugar water
« on: May 10, 2005, 01:50:22 pm »
Do you guys ever add anything to your sugar water that is used to encourage wax from the bees?  Ie, have you ever put in a small amount of salt, or menthol or spearmint flavoring? If so, how much do you use? Does it help or hinder or see much difference in the bees wax production or overall health?

The reason that I ask is that I saw where some bees will take salt in thier diet. And there is some talk about some sort of menthol affects the trachial mites... And I got to wondering....You know,  a hobbiest who knows enough to be   a danger  to the bees.... :wink:

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 06:27:20 pm »
>Do you guys ever add anything to your sugar water that is used to encourage wax from the bees?

No I don't.

>Ie, have you ever put in a small amount of salt, or menthol or spearmint flavoring?

I have noticed that any essential oils tends to set off robbing.

>And there is some talk about some sort of menthol affects the trachial mites...

Only the fumes. I've never used menthol at all.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 08:50:54 pm »
>Do you guys ever add anything to your sugar water that is used to encourage wax from the bees?

No I don't.

>, have you ever put in a small amount of salt, or menthol or spearmint flavoring?

no

>And there is some talk about some sort of menthol affects the trachial mites...

you have menthol bags that release the fumes and the mites hate it. The bees dont like it too much eather and may try to cover it up becuase it burns their eyes. If they try to cover it use half the bag instead. :D
Ryan Horn

anything