Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two Questions  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
Two Questions
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:16:45 pm »
And let me preface this by saying that I attempted to search for the answer to this already, but there is so much dadgum info on here it makes a person's head spin  :-D  That being said.....

One, I'm ordering the last of my supplies and I've noticed that instead of a standard inner cover that you can get a ventilated inner cover. (for all I know those have been around for years...bear with me) Which one should I get? and why? If I'm getting a SBB do I need a ventilated inner cover too? Wouldn't that cause too much draft? Or is that a good thing? I'm using 8frame meds BTW.

Second. I ordered my small cell nucs and was told that I have to have foundation in the frames when I put the bees in the super.Now, I was planning on making an attempt at the ol popsicle stick method (once I get the gist of it) but now I'm wondering if I should run a couple of frames of foundation in with the brood till they get established and then start giving them foundationless ?

I dont' know. I'm beginning to think I am in way over my head .... :shock: 

~mary

Offline IABeeMan

• House Bee
    • Natures Best Honey
Re: Two Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 10:42:48 pm »
 I have no experience with foundationless hives so I will leave thaqt to someone with experience in it.

As for the inner covers I use the ventilated ones along with SBBs. I like the vented inner covers because they can help manage hive temps on the really hot summer days. They also make a top entrance easy in the winter to help manage moisture and the ever important top entrance when the bottom one is blocked by snow. To vent or allow top entrance I just lift the cover slightly and let the front edge sit on the inner cover rather than slide over it. Just make sure the edge of the top is flush with the inner cover to keep the rain or snow from running into the hive.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:29:37 pm »
it's not a bad idea to put one or two sheets of foundation in, or at least starter strip made from foundation.  in a 5 frame nuc, one should do.  if you don't give them a bit of a guide, they may make a mess of it.  if you are transferring frames with foundation from a nuc, you shouldn't need to put more foundation into the 10 frame super.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:39:18 pm »
And let me preface this by saying that I attempted to search for the answer to this already, but there is so much dadgum info on here it makes a person's head spin  :-D  That being said.....

One, I'm ordering the last of my supplies and I've noticed that instead of a standard inner cover that you can get a ventilated inner cover. (for all I know those have been around for years...bear with me) Which one should I get? and why? If I'm getting a SBB do I need a ventilated inner cover too? Wouldn't that cause too much draft? Or is that a good thing? I'm using 8frame meds BTW.
You are located a bit further north than I am. However I will say this. Down here top and bottom ventilation is a wonderful thing. You can always replace a vented cover with a piece of flat wood to cut down on air circulation. I would say in winter you want cut down on ventilation in summer you want ventilation.

Second. I ordered my small cell nucs and was told that I have to have foundation in the frames when I put the bees in the super.Now, I was planning on making an attempt at the ol popsicle stick method (once I get the gist of it) but now I'm wondering if I should run a couple of frames of foundation in with the brood till they get established and then start giving them foundationless ?

I dont' know. I'm beginning to think I am in way over my head .... :shock: 

~mary

It makes no difference really unless you have drawn frames already. If you want to keep with the small cell stick with popsicles.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:30:27 pm »
Ventilation can be nice.  Especially in the winter and the heat of summer.  Popscicle stikcs in the groove will work fine.  No need for foundation if you don't want to use it.  I wouldn't.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Mairzy_doats

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 11:26:58 am »
Gotcha. So if I understand this correctly, I can simply transfer my 5 frames of SC nucs to my hive and put foundationless frames in there with them and they'll be fine? If so, then thats what I'll do. Expecting to get 'em in the beginning of April....time's a tickin....:-)

Thanks for the responses.

~mary

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 07:22:25 pm »
>Gotcha. So if I understand this correctly, I can simply transfer my 5 frames of SC nucs to my hive and put foundationless frames in there with them and they'll be fine?

If "foundationless frames" are frames with comb guides on them, yes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Zane

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 07:24:42 pm »
alternate frames of foundation and foundationless. I had one heck of a mess when I put 2 open frames together. I read a neat way to do your foundationles recently. Just turn the pc you remove from the new frame to add the foundation(and nail back in place) and turn it sideways. You can trim the pc into a v if you can. I like the foundationless way and dont see much difference in time it takes to draw.

anything