Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yeeeehaw!!!! The nailed me good!!!  (Read 1957 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Yeeeehaw!!!! The nailed me good!!!
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:05:52 pm »
Well, I guess I learned my lesson.  I forgot my veil when I went to get a swarm this eve.  Went ahead with it, because I have caught most of my swarms with no protective gear.  This one did not like me. 

I don't know how many times I got stung, but it was enough that I finally walked away.  The more I got stung the more they came after me.  Most of the stings were in the scalp.  Kinda smarted. 

I was stung by one other swarm.  Both of them were evening captures.  Does that have anything to do with it?  I am not a journeyman by any stretch, so I am sure that it is not totally out of the ordinary. 

I could not find anyone  else at home to send in my place.  It was about 45 minutes before dark.  I did not want to go, but did since the homeowners were pretty worried.  Plus.... I guess I didn't want such a nice warm to fly off.  It is a little humbling to have the masses watching while you get stung up.

Wasn't too bad except when my scalp started to swell it gave me quite a headache.  As I have been told before, "that's what you get!" and "I told you so" :-D 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: Yeeeehaw!!!! The nailed me good!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 11:09:36 pm »
Not gonna hear it from me, I had a dog that took the fury (twice) of a hive I ticked off once. That dog is no longer with us (old age, not the stings - upon stings - upon stings.) So I just have to be careful. hope you feel better and recover quick.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Robertbrown

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 11:12:10 pm »
I got stung righ in the end of the nose this evening. That hurt! even my gums are swollen.
All I did was walk past the hive to water the tomatoes, just minding my own business and BAM, right in the nose. That reminds me, I still have to water the maeters. :-\

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 11:35:20 pm »
some swarms are like that.  i got nailed good doing one a few weeks ago.  got me right though the jeans (thin) and kept at me.  went back the next day and they were a piece of cake.  depends on the weather, the alignment of the starts, the vapors, etc........
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 01:08:07 am »
revving motor cycles , at dark while I'm working a upset swarm . ( torupp.)
the other night i got sneak attacked 2 bee's flew up the back of my shirt and stung at the top of the Vally
yes below the belt. talk about the butt of the joke.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:54:19 am »
Swarms will sting any time the bees are in cluster mode. IE: Cold, wet, night, etc. Otherwise, they are fairly calm.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 06:42:32 pm »
That explanes why I got hammered 8 times in the hands.... It was getting ready to snow so they didnt want to be messed with....... lesson learned.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

anything