Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm with no queen - now what?  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
Swarm with no queen - now what?
« on: May 31, 2013, 05:51:10 pm »
Had a very large swarm way up in a pine tree. Got the bright idea to spread a tarp underneath and shoot the branch in half. The problem is that the cluster hit so hard there were a lot of casualties. They were soaking wet, too, I think they disgorged their honey. I scooped three or four pounds of them into a Warre hive body, but I don't think I got the queen. So now what? Will they drift back to other hives?

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Re: Swarm with no queen - now what?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 06:08:06 pm »
If you were able to get a frame of brood from another beek and put some lemon grass oil scent in it you may be able to keep them or do a shake and let them figure where they will wind up. You could strengthen other hives with them.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 06:42:04 pm »
why don't you think you got the queen?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 06:45:02 pm »
I agree, give them a frame of open brood and see what happens. She may be there and if not they will make a queen. Sometimes we get some very large swarms and split them into several hives not knowing where the queen is. We give them all a frame of brood and they take care of the rest.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 07:21:02 pm »
heh, why do I have a flash of someone saying "you just might be a red.... if you shoot a branch down with a bunch of bees hoping to gain a swarm..." heh...guess it sorta worked thought, so that would make you actually clever, I have to say.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 04:36:01 pm by Better.to.Bee.than.not »

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 07:55:54 pm »
Aw don't worry about being called a-----.  I have been called crazy for having foundationless frames, having a TBH, and for not chemically treating for mites, and etc.  May we all learn from each other and their mistakes to.  Good going you got the swarm.

Joe

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 09:01:18 pm »
Aw don't worry about being called a-----.  I have been called crazy for having foundationless frames, having a TBH, and for not chemically treating for mites, and etc.  May we all learn from each other and their mistakes to.  Good going you got the swarm.

Joe
Joe I am with you on no treatments and as CD Bailey says let the strong survive to getter better genes. So far the hives are strong and numbers good. Hope things are good for you too. :)
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:55:13 pm »
why don't you think you got the queen?

I only got about half of them, considering all the casualties and bunch who seemed more interested in going up to a very high branch in the pine tree than in going into the hive. I'm somewhat more optimistic now, though. When I went back at sunset, the bunch up in the tree were gone, and the hive body seems pretty heavy.

I can't add a frame of brood, as it's a Warre hive body with fixed frames.

Guess I'll leave them be and time will tell. I've learned the hard way over and over that if I'm not sure what to do, doing nothing is usually best.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:42:28 pm by Oblio13 »