Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nitrile Gloves  (Read 9554 times)

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Re: Nitrile Gloves
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 07:44:03 am »
i use green nitrile gloves and i've been stung through them the last 2 times i used them but this was because i pinched a bee when i was grabbing on the top bar of the frame. the stings were venomless however and not painful at all.

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 08:33:01 am »
i use green nitrile gloves and i've been stung through them the last 2 times i used them but this was because i pinched a bee when i was grabbing on the top bar of the frame. the stings were venomless however and not painful at all.

That's how I was stung too.  I don't know about venomless? As soon as I felt the "sting", I looked at my thumb, and did not see a stinger, but it did hurt quite a bit for a few hours. It didn't swell, just looked slightly red and shiney.
I did take a Benedryl, and bought some "Sting Kill" (benzocaine) for future use. I forgot all about using plantain. I have that growing just feet from the hive.
Brenda

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 09:09:54 am »
As was said in the above post, when I was stung, the glove did not rip as it is supposed to when penetrated.

Same here.  I was stung thru a blue one by a bumble bee and the glove stayed in tact.  Although John claims the purple ones are sting proof,  I'm not impressed by his demonstration.  A bee stinger is much smaller in diameter than a needle or knife.  Until I see a picture of a bee trying to sting or better yet get a pair and try to let a bee sting me, I'll remain skeptical.

I only wear them to keep my hand clean when doing removals, so I just buy the cheap latex ones.   Those are definitely NOT sting proof.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 12:17:13 pm »
Some people...think darker colors attract bees. Or that bees...will attack or something. I wear blue jeans and long sleeved blue shirts. The bees don't care.

My sentiments too, Jerry. I wear jeans and dark shirts all the time. The other day I had on black jeans and a black shirt. Another beekeeper told me I looked like Johnny Cash.  Also did NOT have either latex or nitrile gloves on at the time. The bees didn’t mind at all.

Those thin gloves are great though when bees are a bit testy. For the most part the tactile feeling in your fingers is still there while generally protecting you from being stung on the hands.  I have noticed that bees won’t sting either through latex or thin nitrile gloves *nearly as often* as they will on bare hands. I think it might be due to the gloves masking the scent given off my human hands. Even the thin nitrile gloves are NOT sting proof though if the bees are on a rampage.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »
today was the first time i got stung good through my nitrile gloves so yeah...they can sting through them and pump you full of venom. but this occurred early on in my hive visit and they didn't sting me again afterwards.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 04:23:36 pm »
Like Robo said, I use gloves to keep the propolis off my hands.  I use a pair I found at Walley World in the paint section.  I think they are chemical gloves, they are blue and have a nice lining, fairly tough.  I still go bare handed when I need to feel what I am doing. 

David 

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008, 11:35:37 am »
I think what some are missing is the thickness of the glove yes they are all nitrile but some the green are usually thicker and used as an outer glove while the blue and purple are used as an inner glove when dealing with chemicals so that you will have two layers of protection. so you can think the green are usually heavy duty while blue and purple are light duty, if you will. I se the blue they give great dexterity not the same as if you had nothing on but still pretty good, but don't for a second think you will not be stung through them

Keith

anything