Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutout Request - Tucson AZ - pics  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
Cutout Request - Tucson AZ - pics
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:08:31 pm »
I took a look at a potential cutout, the area is Cortaro/Silverbell (Marana).

The homeowner would like to rescue the bees if possible. They have been in this location for a couple months now. The bees have not been aggressive to date.

Hive is approx 12 to 14 feet up, here are a few photos:

Earlier, the homeowner tried to plug the entrance with expanding foam. The bees are still coming and going through a gap in the tiles.

The job would be too much for me, I think, given the shape I'm in. I could "do" it, but I think I would take a lot longer than someone more fit.

I also have no idea what to charge for a situation like this one.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: Cutout Request - Tucson AZ - pics
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:31:53 pm »
I would tell the home owner to find someone that would repair the tile roof and pay them, pay for the scaffolding and then what ever you charge. Might want to talk with the roofer if you are unfamiliar with this type of roofing system.

Good call if you think it is beyond what you are willing to tackle, pass it off to someone else. It is not worth getting hurt over a few bees.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 09:38:34 pm »
i hate ladder jobs.  they make my knees hurt :-).  if hubby goes along and will stand below and take stuff, it's not so bad, but still loads of work.  i don't do heights well anyway.  i would think that a tile roof would be a PIA!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:20:22 pm »
Well what happened to the cut out??? don't keep us in suspense!!

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 01:37:25 am »
I don't think the owner has done anything yet.

The simplest and cheapest thing by far, would be a trapout/extermination combination. I know someone else who did something similar, so this is what I recommended the homeowner do:

Buy a bug-zapper that will fit along or as close to the entrance that the bees use. Mount it and leave it on 24/7 for three or four weeks. As more and more foragers go out and don't come back, brood will emerge and stores will be used up - solving the potential "drippy mess" problem. Eventually a starve-out or abscond will result (not that they'd make it very far if they absconded). He might have to reposition the zapper a couple times for maximum effectiveness.

Once no more bees are going to and from the location, the owner can get up there himself and remove the tiles, check out the damage, remove the combs if he can reach them, clean the area with Pinesol and seal it up really well.

That was my advice. I am by far not the most shrewd when it comes to business wheeling and dealing. :sigh:

Good personal karma, I hope. Still wish I could have those bees.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

anything