Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Odd activity at the hive today  (Read 1318 times)

Offline denart

• New Bee
Odd activity at the hive today
« on: December 01, 2006, 03:47:49 pm »
We had our first really cold night last night. It got down to about 25 degrees. before this a couple of light frosts.  The bees are continuing to gather pollen.  But, I just went out to look and see if the bees were flying this afternoon.  They were fairly busy....and still gathering pollen.  The odd thing is when one would come in with pollen, it would enter the hive and in a moment come back out still carrying the pollen, it might walk around the entrance or even fly off again....still with the pollen.  Why would they be doing that.
Make a plan...BUT....Don't plan the outcome
Life is life and it ain't half bad if you dont fight it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Odd activity at the hive today
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 07:30:00 pm »
I'll bet it was not pollen, but propolis and they couldn't get any help unloading.  Pollen they can unload themselves.  Propolis they can't.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Odd activity at the hive today
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:29:21 pm »
Awe, it must be sad for the bees to not get help unloading their propolis.  It is indeed pretty sticky stuff, I can see why it would take help to get it off their hind legs.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything