Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: adding frames  (Read 3157 times)

Offline sean

• Field Bee
adding frames
« on: January 23, 2007, 10:41:07 am »
what is the best(if there is such a thing) way to add new frames(undrawn) to your hive. Do you alternate them 1 full/1 empty/full/1 empty. or add them(empty) one at a time as the last or 2nd to last frame  

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: adding frames
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 08:44:06 pm »
If you only have a single deep I would add undrawn frames to the next to outside frame if it is a double i would stick them in the middle and as they draw them out i would move the drawn ones toward the outside.  just my 2 cents, hope this helps. 8-)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:56:41 pm »
If the hive is strong and swarm control is the goal I put empty frames in the brood nest.  Otherwise, I don't alternate.  There's a tendency for the bees to draw the drawn ones out deeper and ignore the foundation sometimes.  The straightest combs are drawn between two brood combs. :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 04:27:11 pm »
most of the hives are supered and swarming is not an issue at this time. My aim to get as many drawn out frames as possible. Wax is seriously short here so short that many of us are using one sheet of foundation to two or more frames. it is therefore slowing down my expansion and production. Theyy are finding food so i have not been feeding them.

I had been alternating them but i think i went astray at some point and ended having to reduce some colonies. So i am trying not to make the same mistake again.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 09:09:46 pm »
Cut the foundation into 1 inch stips--one sheet does 8 frames that way and the bees will build a slightly smaller cell over most of the frame.  Starter strips save a lot of money on wax costs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 10:13:27 pm »
They draw it the quickest AND the straightest in the middle of the brood nest.  But if it's a flow and you want a lot of supers on, I put the drawn ones together and the foundation together, not alternating.

Swarm control:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 08:49:04 am »
Cut the foundation into 1 inch stips--one sheet does 8 frames that way and the bees will build a slightly smaller cell over most of the frame.  Starter strips save a lot of money on wax costs.

do i run the strip alongthe top bar, or have it run down to the bottom bar?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 09:33:20 am »
Starter strips save a lot of money on wax costs.

Yes wax cost but decrease honey incomes much more. Starter strips are endeed expencive.
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/fdnvsdrawn.htm

It is better to keep foundation in one group because otherwise bees like to raise ready combs and that part of work will be vain.  You will se when you try.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 11:12:26 am »
Finsky, hmm...good site.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 05:46:02 pm »
Starter strips run the length of the top bar:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/PrimaryCombOnBlankStarterStrip.JPG
-------------------

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 05:51:53 pm »
Starter strips run the length of the top bar:

http://www.bushfarms.com/images/PrimaryCombOnBlankStarterStrip.JPG

Ok. I normally use a diagonal shape(Like top left corner to bottom right corner)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 04:20:36 pm »
>I normally use a diagonal shape(Like top left corner to bottom right corner)

Like half of a foundation sheet cut corner to corner?  Or are you talking about a wire?
-------------------

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 01:41:06 pm »
>I normally use a diagonal shape(Like top left corner to bottom right corner)

Like half of a foundation sheet cut corner to corner?  Or are you talking about a wire?
Yes half a foundation sheet cut diagonally from upper to opposing lower corner