Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Jerusalem Artichokes  (Read 4091 times)

Offline mairghead

• House Bee
Jerusalem Artichokes
« on: May 07, 2008, 05:06:42 pm »
I have a patch of Jerusalem Artichoke I neglected to harvest last fall.  Does anyone know if I need to thin them for them to thrive this year or can I just leave them to do their thing?

Jackie

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
Re: Jerusalem Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:33:57 pm »
We always leave some in the ground and never bother thinning.  Just pull them up at the end of the season if you're hungry or leave them in the ground to grow again next year.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:17:16 pm »
And if you don't watch/control them they will take over.
The roots spread like wild fire.
doak

Offline mairghead

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:10:02 pm »
:)  I've noticed.  I have them in a raised bed out in the middle of my yard.  Every once in a while I run a shovel around the outside to snag the ones trying to escape.

I'm suprised my husband hasn't taken the weedeater to them yet.  He has a terrible tendency to chop off anything over 4 inches tall including all my perennials.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:16:15 am »
Oh man, I have looked everywhere for Jerusalem artichokes up here, can't find them, maybe one day, I really want to try them, but I must be looking for that love in all the wrong places, hee, hee.  Beautiful and most awesome day in our great lives. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mairghead

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 01:49:30 pm »
It's a shame you can't get any.  I just love them.  Have you ever checked out the site www.fooddownunder.com? It has some great recipes.

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:31:00 am »
Hey Cindi -

If you know this I apologize but sometimes Jerusalem Artichokes are also called sunchokes and the latin is Helianthus tuberosus - this helped me find some since the more popular term now seems to be sunchoke (at least in the mid-atlantic states).

I had a hard time finding them where I am too but they finally showed up - of all places - in the organic produce section of my grocery. I bought a handful and plunked them in the ground - I think they are coming up (there is so much pokeweed around right now it is hard to tell).

Hope this might help you find some.

BTW - how are they as a bee plant?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:16:13 am »
Jessaboo.  Brainstorm of the century!!!  I didn't know these other names for the J.artichokes, by the way, thank you.

I see them in the organic section of my store too, never had it crossed my mind to plant some of these, what a wonderful plan.  That I will do today while I am out.

I know that I have heard that store potatoes have been treated so they don't sprout.  I don't know how true that is because I have seen potatoes sprout regardless. 

Buying from the organic department (or store) is good anyways, we know that there has been no chemicals used with these products.  I am now very excited about this, no reason why I can't get them from the store instead of ordering through a catalogue, beautiful.  Have that awesomely great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 01:13:33 am »
We always leave some in the ground and never bother thinning.  Just pull them up at the end of the season if you're hungry or leave them in the ground to grow again next year.

Send me some, I would love a start.  Had some years ago at a different house and used them in lou of potatoes a lot.  If you need postage let me know  Or if you're coming up for the Labor Day shebang bring some with you.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 01:38:25 am »
I'll bring some with me.  We have plenty.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 09:36:49 am »
Bill, bring some for me too when you come to Brian's shebang!!!  I am still gonna try at the organic store, but I could use more and more and more, hee, hee, beautiful and most wonderful life.  Cindi