Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: foundationless frames  (Read 2409 times)

Offline wcadams

• New Bee
foundationless frames
« on: June 16, 2009, 01:54:16 pm »
My first year!  My dad started it and passed away a few months later, so I am going to try to keep it going.  He was planning on bees building off a six inch wooden strip on the top center of frame.  Bees are up there but not building comb.  Should I coat them with bees wax?  Maybe put an established frame up there?  Thanks for any help and am looking forward to any comments.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
Re: foundationless frames
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:41:48 pm »
Hi and welcome! Can you give more information about the bees? Are these new packages? Are they in topbar hives? How long have they been there? Do you have pollen and nectar flow right now? Are you feeding?

Mine are on 1/4" long, about 12" wide strips from paint stir sticks and started building comb right away, so it doesn't appear that wax is necessary.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Re: foundationless frames
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:59:12 am »
Wax isn't necessary, but I would go all the way across the frame with my strip.  The bees only build comb when they need it.  They need it when there is a flow for storing honey, or in the brood nest to expand.  Feeding will encourage both.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

anything