Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Classifieds  (Read 3847 times)

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
Classifieds
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:54:25 pm »
I'm just wondering if it's possible to break the classifieds up a little in to areas? I'm in Australia and we can only (as far as i understand) import bee equipment from NZ. I see things in the classifieds which i'd love but i can't bring them in... can we maybe have an Australian/NZ Classifieds section?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Classifieds
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:03:47 am »
I agree!

Having to sort through all the classified items from other places is just too much.

Just a request though. When the forum for the Aussies was set up, it was commented that this was a good thing. That advice from those such as myself was 6 months out of sync with the bee cycle in Australia. That getting advice from others experiencing the same conditions was a good thing. That somehow my information would be impertinent or less applicable to the conversation in hand since I was "out of season".

Yet, I am bombarded with having to read through many threads started by Aussie beekeepers outside the dedicated forum provided to them. It is wasting my time. Especially since I refuse to answer questions from some who devalue my answers because I live half way around the world.  

I bet my inconvenience is a whole lot more than the inconvenience of someone reading through the classifieds.

So to be fair, can we have a dedicated forum for beekeepers in the U.S. ? Void of beekeepers asking questions that are 6 months out of sync from the current knowledge I am experiencing?

OZbee wants now another Aussie dedicated forum for classifieds. Yet, almost everyday, he is posting outside the Aussie forum that was set up to answer questions and let Aussies discuss among themselves.

Now before anyone gets all upset, I write this all in jest to make a point. Personally I think having breakout groups for different beekeepers is odd on a international forum. I know since it was suggested that my advice would not be something "up to date" due to the 6 month seasonal difference, I have never posted on the Aussie forum. And never plan too. I figured if answering a queen question in October would be seen as impertinent, then I best leave it alone.

How about the following forums...

One for females. Certainly this is self explainable.

One for beekeepers in SHB areas. Whether it be pollen patty feeding or nuc building, everything is relative to whether you have SHB's.

One for beekeepers in AHB areas. Again, management and advice is way different for those in AHB areas.

One separating northern and southern beekeeping in the U.S. I think having separate forums for smaller groups in the hundreds, would also mean that for the thousands of beekeepers in the U.S., and taking in the vast and broad beekeeping differences, would mean more forums breaking up the U.S. beekeepers.

Many times, advice is given across a broad spectrum and may or may not apply to the beekeeper asking questions. So if we narrowly defined each forum, and kept all the questions and answers in neat little boxes, then wasted time reading replies that do not matter would be kept to a minimum. How many times have you heard "Beekeeping is local" or that "advice from one place may not be applicable elsewhere"? We can just cut all that wasted commenting and advice down to nothing. Asking a question on winter feeding, then finding out that I am reading replies from some beekeeper in southern Florida, really blows!  :roll:

And don't get me started on that whole group of people from "Hopelessly Lost"! I don't even know how many times I wasted my time reading a question, then upon thinking of my reply, found out that they are from Hopelessly Lost. Then I have to ask myself, is my answer going to be applicable? Should I give a wishy-washy response in general terms? Will it be taken the wrong way? Should I just hit "delete" and let others be frustrated? I'm not even sure where Hopeless Lost is located. Is it a cold weather or hot weather region? Is it from a southern hemisphere location making my advice unworthy? Can we at least get a forum dedicated to all the members from Hopelessly Lost? Now that would be a time saver.  :-D

I do however want immunity to enter and enjoy the "female forum"..... :-D

There you go Oz. Maybe you can get some discussion now..... ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:34:40 am by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:49:08 pm »
 :lau: I'm cryin here!

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 08:11:48 pm »
G'day BjornBee,

Can i just say that whether you're 6mths 'out of season' or not is irrelevant to me? Your experience and knowledge doesn't stick to a timeline as far as i am concerned! personally i think if you have been criticised in the past for not being in the same season then i think that person/people were a bit narrow minded... i have posted in the General Forum many times and found it to be invaluable - the australian forum has wound up for the winter and i actually like being able to talk to others who are active. Obviously there are some location/condition specific things that may not be experienced elsewhere but at the end of the day you're accessing a pool of knowledge on here - when you're swimming in a pool no one else holds you up! you have to swim through that and figure out the best way to get to the other side! It's the same on here - i've learned that beekeeping has some 'hard and fast' rules but a lot of them are what works for the individual beek and it's up to me to decide what is best for my circumstances based on the advice i have received. If someone wants 100% location specific advice then pull out the yellow pages and call your nearest apiary!

Maybe with the classifieds rather than setting up an 'Australian specific' one we can have a search function that could narrow down the posts to the location (by country not by city block haha) that the items are available in?

BjornBee - in all the jest your reply was meant you've certainly brought a smile to my face on this gloomy cold melbourne day! but since you're 6mths out of sync it's probably warm where you are so i really don't care hahahah (joking)

Have a great day mate

Oz

I agree!

Having to sort through all the classified items from other places is just too much.

Just a request though. When the forum for the Aussies was set up, it was commented that this was a good thing. That advice from those such as myself was 6 months out of sync with the bee cycle in Australia. That getting advice from others experiencing the same conditions was a good thing. That somehow my information would be impertinent or less applicable to the conversation in hand since I was "out of season".

Yet, I am bombarded with having to read through many threads started by Aussie beekeepers outside the dedicated forum provided to them. It is wasting my time. Especially since I refuse to answer questions from some who devalue my answers because I live half way around the world.  

I bet my inconvenience is a whole lot more than the inconvenience of someone reading through the classifieds.

So to be fair, can we have a dedicated forum for beekeepers in the U.S. ? Void of beekeepers asking questions that are 6 months out of sync from the current knowledge I am experiencing?

OZbee wants now another Aussie dedicated forum for classifieds. Yet, almost everyday, he is posting outside the Aussie forum that was set up to answer questions and let Aussies discuss among themselves.

Now before anyone gets all upset, I write this all in jest to make a point. Personally I think having breakout groups for different beekeepers is odd on a international forum. I know since it was suggested that my advice would not be something "up to date" due to the 6 month seasonal difference, I have never posted on the Aussie forum. And never plan too. I figured if answering a queen question in October would be seen as impertinent, then I best leave it alone.

How about the following forums...

One for females. Certainly this is self explainable.

One for beekeepers in SHB areas. Whether it be pollen patty feeding or nuc building, everything is relative to whether you have SHB's.

One for beekeepers in AHB areas. Again, management and advice is way different for those in AHB areas.

One separating northern and southern beekeeping in the U.S. I think having separate forums for smaller groups in the hundreds, would also mean that for the thousands of beekeepers in the U.S., and taking in the vast and broad beekeeping differences, would mean more forums breaking up the U.S. beekeepers.

Many times, advice is given across a broad spectrum and may or may not apply to the beekeeper asking questions. So if we narrowly defined each forum, and kept all the questions and answers in neat little boxes, then wasted time reading replies that do not matter would be kept to a minimum. How many times have you heard "Beekeeping is local" or that "advice from one place may not be applicable elsewhere"? We can just cut all that wasted commenting and advice down to nothing. Asking a question on winter feeding, then finding out that I am reading replies from some beekeeper in southern Florida, really blows!  :roll:

And don't get me started on that whole group of people from "Hopelessly Lost"! I don't even know how many times I wasted my time reading a question, then upon thinking of my reply, found out that they are from Hopelessly Lost. Then I have to ask myself, is my answer going to be applicable? Should I give a wishy-washy response in general terms? Will it be taken the wrong way? Should I just hit "delete" and let others be frustrated? I'm not even sure where Hopeless Lost is located. Is it a cold weather or hot weather region? Is it from a southern hemisphere location making my advice unworthy? Can we at least get a forum dedicated to all the members from Hopelessly Lost? Now that would be a time saver.  :-D

I do however want immunity to enter and enjoy the "female forum"..... :-D

There you go Oz. Maybe you can get some discussion now..... ;)