Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OMG...Can't wait until spring  (Read 7654 times)

Offline dennis2021

• House Bee
    • Orlando Bee Removal Expert
OMG...Can't wait until spring
« on: February 09, 2011, 09:53:19 pm »
It has been a long winter :'(. I know, I know...we have no winter here, sorry for crying. It has just been so quiet this winter. I can't wait to start getting to work again, this will be my first full year and I am more excited than ever about doing some cut-outs this coming year. Maybe I can even get Scott(Hardwood) to make me a bee-vac.
Have a sweet day,
Dennis the Bee Guy

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: OMG...Can't wait until spring
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 10:02:12 pm »
I can't wait either.  We got stinking snow coming tonight.  At least the bees got to fly today when the sun came out for a few minutes.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 10:15:00 pm »
I will hopefully be doing cut outs after this next front comes through. I'm really hoping its the last one of the year. I have about a dozen cut outs scheduled, a few with multiple colonies.

I can hardly wait!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline lmtfi

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 11:21:02 pm »
Wow - sounds like you have them lined up like planes waiting to land!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 10:44:11 am »
Wow - sounds like you have them lined up like planes waiting to land!

After a certain point we even get too cold down here to do removals, so I have people wait until spring, so yes, I have people waiting.

Please update your profile if you don't mind to include your location.

Thanks!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:00:14 am »
Stinking snow?  How about stinking -20?  That's what we had last night.  My bees have had no break to fly since November.  I lost two of my last 5 hives.  Pant, pant, pant... o.k., I'm done venting now...
COME ON SPRING! COME ON SWARMS! 8-)

J.C.
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 12:43:19 am »
I am the same way.  This will be my first year beekeeping for myself.   I have been planning and preparing since fall.  Yes, this has been a long winter.  But, I did see the daffodils coming up in my yard this week so spring is near.  Woohoo....
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:12:08 am »
Normally I would see the dafs coming up about now, too. But this year there is too much ice and snow on the ground. Not to mention the 0 degree temperatures! :'(

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:24:13 am »
Me eather!! :-D  I had to get rid of my girls up in Colorado and move down here in June I have been bee less since then.  I have 2 packages coming in March so I hope this is the last cold front as well I have a few cutouts to do myself.  Hope everyone has a productive spring and summer and may the swarms bee plentiful.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 08:37:11 pm »
The daffodils have broken the ground here, but only just an inch high.   May hit 60 tomorrow.   23 when we wake up and hit the mud in the morning riding.  Still bad cold.   We are going to be pushing spring tomorrow afternoon.   

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 12:14:44 am »
the red maples are in full bloom now, but the weather down here with this last front is in the mid 20s.today the bees were flying this evening but it will get back to the 20s tonite.have some cutouts lined up .next  week will be in the uper 60's to low 70's.come on spring  :piano:   ...schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 06:50:26 am »
bruce, the maples budding out here, figure on this little warm up this week, they will pop
to bee or not to bee

Offline dean0

• House Bee
    • My photovoltaic Website
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 08:04:54 am »
Dennis, Hey neighbor.  I can't wait for spring also.  I got stung by the beekeeping bug this year, actually late December. I started doing some research and someone told me to contact Hardwood since him and I live in the same town (Deltona).  I contact Hardwood on a Friday and was at his place on the next morning.  I was a little cold that morning but Scott still opened up 3 hives. We found the queen in all 3 hives and saw some emerging brood.  Scott also showed me some bees that had taken over a trailer owned by a woman who wanted them gone.  Since the trailer was not in that great of shape, she gave Hardwood the whole trailer. Hardwood has since converted the hive into an observation hive.  Really cool.  Anyway after spending the morning in Hardwood's bee yard, I was even more addicted. I found that I could purchase MannLake supplies from a local dealer, D and J Apiaries in Umatilla.  I went there the following week and purchased enough equipment to build 2 hives.  I assembled all the hive components and painted the hive bodies that same weekend. The next week was spent waiting for bees and doing more research.  Since I am getting 2 nucs from Hardwood in March, I thought if these girls take off, I don't have any extra supers to use to expand the hive.  Another trip to Umatilla and now I have an additional 8 medium supers with frames waiting to be used. Everything is assembled and painting, just waiting for Mother Nature to do her thing so that Hardwood can supply me with my first bees.

Dean0

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 09:54:33 am »
It's going to hit 64 today.   WOOHOO!

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 11:57:31 am »
It's going to hit 64 today.   WOOHOO!

Yup and I saw yesterday that the pollen they were bringing in had changed colors from a deep orange to red.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 05:00:39 pm »
Scott / Hardwood I give you a two thumb's up for showing deanO the bee's and taking the time with a new bee keeper.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 05:46:20 pm »
Thanks Irwin :) I always get a lot of enjoyment out of helping folks get into beekeeping and Dean's a great guy!

Dean, I just grafted your queen(s) :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 05:48:38 pm »
Dennis, As soon as I get a little break from the bees I'll try to make a couple of those "new style" bee vacs I told you about.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 08:42:45 pm »
Yesterday found 2 drone cells out of 11 hives here in north Georgia.   My first 2 boys of the year if they make it.   Have pics to show everybody, but got the Anti Vira virus from image shack when trying to upload them.   Ain't never going to upload any more pics there.    But, did find the 2 boys.  Gotta love this weather this week.   

Offline dean0

• House Bee
    • My photovoltaic Website
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 09:00:54 pm »
Dean, I just grafted your queen(s) :-D

Scott...Like I haven't been filled with anticipation the past few weeks now knowing that my queens have been grafted, I will be counting the days until I can come pick them up. What do you think the anticipated pick-up date will be so I have some sort of idea and what to be planning for? 

I hope my first 2 queens are pretty...straight wings and straight teeth :-D and have a great personality. Hopefully, at my age,  I can finally have both looks and personality, which wasn't always the case when I was growing up; I usually ended up with one or the other.  More importantly, I hope neither of them are drag :rainbowflower: queens