Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB and wax moth trap?  (Read 4082 times)

Offline Diver

• New Bee
SHB and wax moth trap?
« on: March 03, 2006, 07:36:54 am »
Although we do not have SHB in the uk yet (no reported cases) Its an odds on bet we soon will have, so I have been thinking of ways of destroying them to no success.
 In Africa where they come from they pose no problem as they are kept to small numbers which the bees can live with. If this is the case then, perhaps, the attitude should be, we live with them, by keeping them to small numbers.
My thoughts then turned to a trap. They like all scavengers of this type seem to like dark corners and crevices. I plan to make a trap and test it on wax moth until the SHB arrives. The trap I plan is basically a hollow division board or very thin frame feeder. Two thin sheets of material from the art shop stapled to spacers with a gap large enough for the prey but to small for bees to enter say a strip of masonite board I think you call it around the edges with gaps for entrances. Before stapling the second side on, will put barrier rings of mouse/rat trap glue around some bait (honey wax and possibly some melon skin) then put the board in the hive to hopfully do its intended job, may even get a few varroa mites as well.

The mouse/rat trap glue is a non setting glue something like evo-stik( not sure if you have in USA) you squeeze it out of the tube in a circle around some bait on a piece of paper and put it on a mouse/rat run (like any mouse/rat trap) and when they set foot on the glue they stick and the more they struggle the more they get stuck next morning its just a case of humanely disposing of them. With the beetles or moths they could be of sufficient numbers to make a bridge across the line of glue hence several rings.  Just an idea but I thought it may help you guy's or prompt an version of your own.
listen to others. You do not always know as much as you think you do.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Disposal of a mouse?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 09:13:04 am »
Intriguing question. How do YOU humanely dispose of a dead, or, soon to be dead mouse :?:  

As far as your idea about a trap for non-existent SHB ( small hive beetle)
make one and wait until the beetles come TO YOU, and they surely will.   Then tell us.

On another subject, what do you and your fellow beeks in the UK, think about the VITA -EUTOPE Ltd. Verroa mite treatment called APIGUARD :?:

Maybe the question has been discussed already but I haven't seen it.

Thanks.

Offline Andrew Tyzack

• New Bee
    • http://www.thelandgallery.com
SHB and wax moth trap?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 12:07:14 pm »
How about putting some female wax moths into a butler cage to draw all the males to their doom - they use female pheronomes to attract male codling moth in apple orchards, they use a sticky trap for them. Or are the wax moth sexes identical and difficult to tell apart? Maybe there's a new business idea for somebody here?

Andrew

Offline downunder

• House Bee
SHB and wax moth trap?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 06:04:45 pm »
I have been researching SHB with the worlds leading authorities on the subject for 5 years now. Firstly many have tried traps much similar to what you describing and all relatively failed. The main reason for this is that they will walk across your glue like it's not there. We have tried the stickeiest substance on earth (straight polybutene) and it doesn't even slow them down. Don't pin your hopes on what you design, we are up to trap design 352. Some work partially, but no single 1 works entirely.

The best trap so far is the organic dadant west beetle trap, based on mineral or vegetable oil. Although it has massive limitations for migratory beekeepers.

The beetles run from the light when you open the hive and straight down into the oil. Only works well when beetles are highly active. It's gets very messy quickly if not cleaned regularly and if not completely level.

Offline Diver

• New Bee
SHB and wax moth trap?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 07:58:09 am »
Thanks for the reply Downunder

I thought if the glue held struggling rats it would surely hold a small beetle. I will have to put my thinking cap on again.

Jack Parr wrote:

Intriguing question. How do YOU humanely dispose of a dead, or, soon to be dead mouse

I dont know: the ones I have caught are certainly very much alive and I humanely put them down with a pellet from my airgun to the head.

Jack Parr wrote:

As far as your idea about a trap for non-existent SHB ( small hive beetle)
make one and wait until the beetles come TO YOU, and they surely will. Then tell us.

I am thinking ahead and of the people that already have SHB, as I stated.

Although we do not have SHB in the uk yet (no reported cases) Its an odds on bet we soon will have.

I posted my idea hoping to provoke some postive discussion as to the merits of the idea.
listen to others. You do not always know as much as you think you do.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Dead beetles ,
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 09:47:57 am »
John Lennon is currently dead, but Yoko lives on and on.... Perhaps the Real Queen will trap her and she will disappear...

I am of the opinion that the trick to small hive beetle control lies in highly populated hives. At least that is what is recommended.

There are some traps available here in the US but I, personally, do not have a beetle problem currently but I couild get lucky.