Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Stings  (Read 3335 times)

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Stings
« on: May 23, 2005, 08:03:04 am »
i was just curious about what people consider a mean hive.  i guess what my question is  is this how many stings would be considered mean.  i took out a hive out of a house on Saturday and aquired 15 + stings.  part of that was that it wasn't totally nice out.  i figured i better get it out because i have a line waiting for removal.  anyway just got a few stings and was pondering what most people consider mean.  thanks

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
Stings
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 02:35:49 pm »
I guess I wouldn't consider a hive mean unless when coming after me they just wouldn't quit. When ever I have upset one of my hives, if I walk away for a minute, they just stop following me and settle down. My husband got stung in the glove probably 60 times while scooping a hive off a tree. So amount of stings wouldn't determine it for me personally.

Beth

Offline jathomas

• New Bee
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/jathomas
Stings
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 11:37:59 am »
Also, if they do it on a pretty regular basis.  If a hive stings me a few times every time I inspect it, even in good weather, I think that's a mean hive!

Offline firetool

• House Bee
Stings
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 11:55:25 am »
I would agree with Beth. I have a hive that if I don't smoke them they will fallow me for about 125 yards.When I smoke them they are much better behaved and only fallow me for 30 yards or so.I do plan on requeening them in the spring though.

Brian

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Stings
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 12:42:06 pm »
Your going to wait a whole year to requeen them?  Fall queens are usually reasonably priced and abundant.  With the added benefit of IMO, fewer bad matings.  More consistent weather and all.  125 yards is a long way to be bobbin and weavin.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Stings
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 11:58:45 am »
If I had mean bees, and if I couldn't come up with a queen, I'd get rid of the old one.  Her daughters offspring are unlikely to be worse and most likely will be better, but it's late enough you should be able to buy a queen reasonably now.

Mean bees take the fun out of beekeeping.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Barny

• House Bee
Stings
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 01:07:50 pm »
Yes Micheal it does take the fun out, but not the excitement!

Offline lively Bee's

• House Bee
Stings
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2005, 02:31:33 am »
My "mean" Hive would attack any thing that moved over the hive your gloves, hive tool, smoker etc...  This came about after I let them requeen there self.  So they now have a New queen and all is nice and clam

anything