Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Latest date to install bees  (Read 2507 times)

Offline bsteele

• Brood
Latest date to install bees
« on: March 27, 2009, 05:31:40 pm »
I'm totally new to beekeeping and currently constructing a langstroth hive.  What is the latest date you'd recommend installing bees?  I live in the midwest near Kansas City. 

Is it too late to order bees? 

I should have it completed and frames installed in a week ot two.

Thanks.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Re: Latest date to install bees
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 05:57:54 pm »
You can still install bees in your are Michael Bush will probably weigh in on this but I think if anything it might still be early in your area. The problem might be ordering them suppliers might be booked up

Keith

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:08:03 pm »

Remove this if it needs to be !

I think some one from Lee Summit has a few nuc's left !
PM me if interested, I will look up his address.

Bee-Bop
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 06:33:57 pm by Bee-Bop »
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:38:21 pm »
The problem will be finding them.  Ask around.  The KHPA could probably direct you to people who are bringing in packages or nucs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:38:38 pm »
I don't know what the feral hive population is like in your area, but if you have trouble finding a supplier, try putting out some swarm traps and get you a hive or two from your area.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline wharfrat

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22:27 am »
I installed my first ever package on unused foundation in early June last year in Richmond, Virginia.

I didn't take any honey last year, and it appears that the hive has made it through the winter. At some point last fall, they made a new queen she is not the original

It has been a cold March here, and the colony is slow to strengthen. I checked in early March, and there was limited brood, but the queen is there and there was plenty of honey. The numbers in the hive are low, and my fingers are crossed that I will have a rapid build up of numbers in April.

I think I ordered my package from Rossman Apiaries last year and received through the mail.

Best of luck. :-D

Offline lmehaffey

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:46:01 am »
I installed my first ever package on unused foundation in early June last year in Richmond, Virginia.

I didn't take any honey last year, and it appears that the hive has made it through the winter. At some point last fall, they made a new queen she is not the original

It has been a cold March here, and the colony is slow to strengthen. I checked in early March, and there was limited brood, but the queen is there and there was plenty of honey. The numbers in the hive are low, and my fingers are crossed that I will have a rapid build up of numbers in April.

Don't mean to "high-jack" this thread...maybe should ask this in a new topic....but: is it a good idea to not take any honey the first year? I have heard this is true and, as I'm really mostly interested in pollination for my garden, I wouldn't mind leaving the hives alone until next year, if it will make them stronger.
It is what it is.......except when it isn't.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 01:10:54 pm »

Don't mean to "high-jack" this thread...maybe should ask this in a new topic....but: is it a good idea to not take any honey the first year? I have heard this is true and, as I'm really mostly interested in pollination for my garden, I wouldn't mind leaving the hives alone until next year, if it will make them stronger.

It all depends on how they build up the first season and how much honey they are able to make and store.

If they are quick to build and have really good resources and are able to create a surplus, you just may be able to take some honey this season.

Also, you are in a southern region where winters are much shorter than northern bee keepers who need to leave extra feed on their hives because their bees over winter for much longer periods and would starve without extra reserves.

Package installs generally take longer to build, I've had very good luck with large swarms that I've housed that built up extremely fast and often, I am able to take some of their bounty the first season.

If you want to ensure you will get some honey the first season, start with a nuc or an established hive.

Of course, again, it depends on the nectar flow as to what they will make in any given season. Adequate rainfall feeding the flowers has a lot to do with this.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything