Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Checking for release of Queen after insalling package  (Read 4256 times)

Offline BEESnButterflys

• New Bee
Checking for release of Queen after insalling package
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:16:09 am »
Would like to know how many days after installing a package should we check to see if the Queen was released from her cage?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Checking for release of Queen after insalling package
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 10:19:47 am »
2-3 days

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 10:25:30 am »
For the last 10 to 15 years, it is recommended 2 to 3 days. For many, many years prior to that, it was recommended 7 days. I still go by the old rule.
I hear too many horror stories about the new rule.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline brer

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 11:06:47 am »
I'm in the same situation.  My first package, did the install thursday and friday.

The queen had been in transit with the package for two days, she has been in her cage for the last three, today being the third day.

The bees are clustering around her. 

Just from what I understand about their behavior, lotsa theory and no practice.  This should mean that they have accepted her and not that they are mobbing her, I hope. 

I am figuring that at this point she has been in her cage surrounded by the bees for about five days.   Does the hive feed her when she is still in the cage and accepted?   

At what point should I intervene in the release?  I do not plan on it if I do not need to, but I would rather not lose the queen if things go wrong.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 06:06:53 pm »
They will feed her.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:53:45 pm »
I've always waited a week before looking in.

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 09:21:56 pm »
I've only installed 2 packages, but I waited a week before looking.  Mostly because I work and it was more convenient to install the package one weekend and remove the cage the next.  I picked up my bees, so they hadn't been with the queen for several days like bees that are shipped.

When I re-queened a hot hive on a Sun, I had to take a vacation day on Tue because I left the cork in for 2 days to increase my chances of them accepting her.  After I removed the cork and poked the hole in the candy, I didn't check until the next weekend and she had been released.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 11:00:28 pm »
When you poked the hole in the candy, you removed the 2 days you waited. If you had pulled the cork Sun. and not poked the hole, she would have been released the same day she was released.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 02:22:03 am »
This is a good post because I have been wondering this myself. I have installed 3 packages already in my years of beekeeping (that includes the one I installed today) I pull out the cork right away and stuff in a marshmellow for the bees to eat away. I always check in 3 days and the queens have been released.

I guess I have been lucky so far. But it seems this is another ask a beekeeper a question and receive multiple answers.

Michael Bush just direct releases his queens which I find amazing.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 02:22:43 am »
This is a good post because I have been wondering this myself. I have installed 3 packages already in my years of beekeeping (that includes the one I installed today) I pull out the cork right away and stuff in a marshmellow for the bees to eat away. I always check in 3 days and the queens have been released.

I guess I have been lucky so far. But it seems this is another ask a beekeeper a question and receive multiple answers.

Michael Bush just direct releases his queens which I find amazing.

Offline Gabect

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 07:26:41 am »
I installed my first 3 packages Saturday and just pulled the cork out. Is that bad? What  kind of repercussions can that create if any? My thinking was this: The queen spent the transport time with the rest of the bees and they will have either taken or rejected her by now, so what can it hurt?
I checked yesterday and they were cleaning house. I'll check today to make sure they like the new home enough to sign the lease.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 08:59:09 am »
Gabect, would you sign a lease if the landlord was in your house rummaging through your stuff every day of the week? I never open a new package hive the first few days. I have heard of too many absconding.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Gabect

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 09:53:59 am »
when I check, I'm just observing the behavior as best I can. I'm not going to open hive for a while for that reasoning. I wouldnt move it to a nosey landlord either.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Checking for release of Queen after installing package
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 10:36:47 am »
i wait a week.  i have been known to forget that i stuck a queen out there, and been known to forget which hive i stuck her in.

getting old sucks.

point is, they will care for her and better to leave her longer than not long enough.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 08:18:47 pm »
If you aren't using foundation you should not wait a whole week to check.  A package can build a lot of bad comb in a week.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 08:22:47 pm »
Sorry, David, we will just have to agree to disagree. Properly installed, she should still have a week to settle in. They will never block access to her. The small area of bad comb can be taken care of easily.

Of course, if you go foundationless, you may have a point. That, to me, is wrong to begin with, but to each his own.

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 08:45:57 pm »
i felt the same way about foundationless until i tried it.

i do like to put one or at least 1 sheet in a swarm or package.  it helps them get started straight.  most of the time, strips are enough.  i don't do packages anymore and most of the time i dump swarms in whatever i have, comb or not.

whatever you do, make sure your frames are pushed together toward the middle.  if you give them space, they will build!

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Gabect

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 12:09:20 am »
I'm using foundationless in langs hives.So its better to wait and then open the hive as opposed to opening to make sure about the comb that David was talking about.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 12:15:57 am »
i think it's better to wait.  you can fix wonky comb, but you can do much if you aggravate them and they leave.  give them a chance to take to the queen and get her out.  once that happens and she's laying, they are less apt to be wanting to find another home.

Offline Gabect

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 07:35:27 am »
I didn't start this post, but thank you for all of the helpful insight. I'll let you guys know in a week.

anything