Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Crazy weather  (Read 2412 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Crazy weather
« on: December 06, 2012, 11:25:51 pm »
I'm starting to be concerned about this unseasonable warn weather we have been experiencing where I live. Specifically how it will affect the consumption of my bees winter honey stores. I see the girls bringing in pollen but I know there is not a lot, if any, nectar sources available. I'm in my first season and I'm wondering if I should feed. I don't want to induce brood rearing but I don't want the extra activity to deplete the needed winter food. Is a real concern or am I over thinking the situation?
Later,
Ray

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Crazy weather
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 12:46:42 am »
I can't speak for your climate, but if you're worried try to lift up the side of a hive to feel how heavy it is.  A heavy hive and warm weather should be fine (ie they can move to new stores).

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:02:44 am »
When they starve, they eat the brood first.  Don't let them run out of food worrying about the small stuff.  If they do not have frames of capped honey, feed them until they do. 

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:51:19 pm »
I checked today. Two very lite hives with large population.  Put on the hive top feeders with 2gal of 2 to 1 syrup. High was 78degF. I wish it would get cold. Bees are really active._
Later,
Ray

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:13:48 pm »
Last winter, my bees headed into it with large population and light on stores. Then it was crazy mild all winter. I felt sure they would starve, but they made it through. They can surprise you, so I hope for the best for yours.
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:09:15 pm »
Last winter, my bees headed into it with large population and light on stores. Then it was crazy mild all winter. I felt sure they would starve, but they made it through. They can surprise you, so I hope for the best for yours.
Thanks, I hope your right. Still lots of bees. One hive really jumped on the feeder, the other not so much. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Anyone got any idea?
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 10:13:29 pm »
One hive found a natural food source. The other o e did not.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 09:50:43 pm »
I just ate an apple from a tree in the bottom! Leaves were still green on some of the trees.  The apple was not brown in the center (no hard frost here yet).
Poor decisions make the best stories.

anything