Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: a very cool hive found  (Read 2474 times)

Offline danno

• Super Bee
a very cool hive found
« on: November 17, 2008, 11:02:27 am »
This Sat. on our opening day of deer season I found a hive on the botton side of a 20" tree that had blow over and resting at a 45 deg angle.  Its about 10 ft in the air.  The mutiple combs are 4ft long and about 18 inches deep.  No bee's, no honey and no sign that wax moth had gotten to it before the weather turned cold.   I called a newspaper freind that is going to come out with me and shoot some photos before I collect the wax

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: a very cool hive found
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:46:30 am »
Any indication as to why it died out? Or do you think it recently was blown over and the bees absconded afterwards?
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 12:04:13 pm »
I guess I didn't descibe it the best.  It is not in a cavity of any kind.  Its completely exposed to the weather just hanging off the tree trunk.   Its like a swarm landed on this tree and didn't leave. 

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 12:13:35 pm »
That is neat. An open air colony. I wonder why they died out.  :?  I doubt they would of made it through winter, but you would think they would of made it this far. I have seen open air colonies make it well into winter.

With no honey, and no comb destruction, it may of been starvation with absconding towards the end.

What a great find.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 06:31:17 pm »
 I look forward to the pictures Danno.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Holycow

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 01:17:05 am »
Perhaps the queen died shortly after the swarm departed. The queenless swarm "parked" there to wait for instruction.. which never came. So the workers started working.. built that much before the workers started laying, or the temps dropped quick and wiped them all out leaving the ghost town.
a guess.
--Jeff

anything