Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Requeened ??  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
Requeened ??
« on: May 20, 2005, 05:54:38 pm »
Yesterday I received a new queen from Honey Bee Genetics. I removed a frame of brood from my stronger hive ,and put in in the hive that was queeless. Then I installed the new Queen. I had to remove a frame from the weaker hive to put the brood in. This frame had drone cells and honey on it. I placed it on the ground about fifty feet from the two hives. Will the bees clean it up? I figure this sets the hive back close to three weeks. I'll keep feeding them as long as they keep taking it. I'll just let it work.

Offline latebee

• House Bee
Requeened ??
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 08:09:38 pm »
Rich,
    I have never tried that because all the publications I have read say that this might lead to a robbing situation.
The person who walks in another's tracks leaves NO footprints.

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
Requeened ??
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 11:03:15 pm »
I have read that also,but have seen others,and much experienced beekeepers do it. I will let you know how it works out.

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
Requeened ??
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2005, 11:29:42 pm »
One thing to remember when you are faced with weak colonys, queen losses, etc.  1 strong hive will out produce 2 weak ones.  Depending on what your goals for the year are, you may choose to combine them into one hive and let them get down to business.  After the flow, with drawn comb, you can split them back down, and feed for winter stores to come out of winter running and gunning.  Weak colonies are just that... weak.  They will struggle to get drawn comb, struggle to store nectar, and steal time from you that could be spent managing your moneymakers... I mean honeymakers.  In the end, they take all your effort and have a much reduced survival rate.  I started 10 new colonys this spring.  With one exception, they are going to beat the band.  I told that gal in the weak colony today.. get with the program, or it's marie antionette all over again!!!  I'm into the nectar now, and while I don't expect a surpluss from my starts, I expect them to go like a house on fire drawing comb and storing nectar.   She can either step up to the plate and take a few swings, or we'll be eatin cake!!!